Chicken Parmesan is one of those meals that seems more complicated than it really is. Make it at home in 30 minutes and half the price.Jump to Recipe
Chicken Parmesan has always been one of my favorite meals when we would go to an Italian restaurant. But we didn’t want to have to go out to eat every time I got a craving. So I tried to figure out a way to make it at home with a pretty quick and easy recipe. I decided the chicken needed to be breaded. Then it needed some sauce and cheese. I used my recipe for Country Fried Steak for the idea on how to do the breading.
Originally, I baked the chicken for this recipe, but it never turned out the same. I am very picky about the texture of chicken when I eat it. Baking it always seemed to leave the chicken a little soft. I wanted it to have a little bit of crunch to it that fried chicken usually has. One day we decided to try pan-frying it all, and it came out so much better. We also noticed that it seemed to cook quicker because the chicken would always take so long to bake through. Or maybe that’s because I never felt like it was done so we kept putting it in longer and longer.
By doing this on the stovetop, you have more control over getting the chicken to a good texture. It also doesn’t seem to absorb the sauce as much as when I baked it, meaning the chicken never got firm. I’ve made this with canned sauce and my homemade marinara sauce, and both are delicious.
Step by Step
Dredge the chicken in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. If you like extra breading on yours, you can do the egg and breadcrumbs a second time to coat it more.
Put a small amount of oil in a medium skillet or cast-iron pan and set the heat to medium. Add the chicken to the pan. Cook for about 5-10 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook the other side for at least another 5-10 minutes. Make sure that the chicken is cooked through before going on to the next step.
Lower the heat down to medium-low. Spoon the marinara sauce over the chicken. If you like yours really saucy, make sure to cover the entire chicken. Remember, some will probably fall off which means it may cook into the bottom of it a little bit as well. Add the cheese to the top of each chicken, distributing evenly.
Cover the pan for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Serve the chicken parmesan warm. I like to sprinkle a little more cheese on top of mine, but I just really love cheese. This entree goes great with some fresh bread, pasta noodles, and/or a salad. It’s almost like going out to eat but without the extra time and expense!
Originally Published On: July 24, 2017
Last Updated On: January 10, 2020
Easy Chicken Parmesan
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cups bread crumbs
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- Put the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 separate bowls
- Dip each chicken breast into the flour then eggs then bread crumbs, making sure to completely coat with each
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat
- Add the chicken and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown
- Flip the chicken and cook another 5-10 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and cooked through
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the chicken with sauce
- Sprinkle the cheeses on top and cover pan, cooking for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted