In the past, I’ve mentioned that I enjoy a good spinach and artichoke mixture, and have made them into a quesadilla before, but hadn’t made my own dip. Although, when we go out to eat, it’s one of my favorite appetizers (behind fried mozzarella).
So, as usual, I started looking up recipes online and combined the best of a few of them to come up with this recipe for spinach artichoke dip that’s baked in the oven. You can cook it and eat immediately, or you can cook it and refrigerate then just reheat when you are ready. We ate this with some store-bought pita chips, and it was a perfect appetizer.
I made this a couple of years ago to bring to a Super Bowl party, and it was gone very quickly. The pita chips are perfect with it, but you could also eat the dip with bread or crackers, whichever one you prefer. Or, if you are cooking for a crowd, bring a little bit of each so guests can choose which one they prefer.
Set your oven to 350F to let it preheat while you get the dip together. In a large mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, half of the parmesan cheese, mustard, and pepper. Stir these together until they are well mixed.
Stir in the chopped spinach leaves, artichoke hearts, and red onion. If you haven’t already diced the artichoke hearts, I suggest either using a chef knife or a “slap chop” to get it done quickly. They don’t have to be uniform in size, just cut up so they are bite-sized pieces.
Spread the mixture evenly into a 9-inch pie plate or an 8×8 baking dish. Make sure there aren’t any peaks in the dip; otherwise those will burn before the rest of the dip has cooked. Try to even the dip out as best as possible.
Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese on top of the dip, covering as much as possible in a thin layer.
Bake the spinach artichoke dip uncovered for about 15 minutes until the dip is heated through. It will probably just start to bubble, and the parmesan cheese on top will melt. Serve the dip warm with crackers or pita chips or bread to dip in it.
Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated or shredded)
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 dash white pepper
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts (drained and coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup spinach leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- Pita wedges, crackers, or bread to dip in (crackers, bread to dip in)
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl combine mozzarella cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, mustard, and pepper
- Stir in artichoke hearts, spinach, and onion
- Spread mixture evenly into a 9 inch pie plate
- Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through
- Serve warm