The last few times we have done our local produce co-op, it’s been full of tomatoes. So many tomatoes. There are only so many fresh tomatoes that our family can eat in one week.
When we realized we had more than we would eat, Justin asked if we could try to make stuffed tomatoes. It’s full of vegetables, which I usually don’t eat a lot of, so I needed something with more than that.
I found this recipe for tomatoes stuffed with capers and
But, as usual, we made some changes to the base recipe. Mainly, I needed some cheese. Of course, by adding the cheese, the recipe is no longer vegan or dairy-free if you need that. Luckily, at our house, we don’t have any major allergies or dietary restrictions.
When I looked through the recipe, I decided that it either needed mozzarella cheese or parmesan cheese. Mozzarella would probably go well with the tomatoes and sherry part of the recipe while parmesan matches with the breadcrumbs and capers.
After much debate, I went with mozzarella cheese. It’s one of my favorite cheeses, and it happened to be the only one we had in the refrigerator at the time!
Step by Step
Start by heating the oven to 500F then slice the tomatoes in half. Use a spoon or your hand to pull out the seeds.
Pour the cooking sherry into the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish and lay the tomatoes in there with the cut sides facing up. Sprinkle them with a bit of salt.
In a small mixing bowl combine the parsley, capers, oregano, garlic, and half of the breadcrumbs. Put a pinch of mozzarella cheese in each tomato, then top that with the caper mixture.
Sprinkle the rest of the breadcrumbs on the tomatoes and drizzle the olive oil.
Bake the tomatoes for about 10-15 minutes, until they start to soften and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Shop This Post
Cheesy Caper-Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 tomatoes (large)
- 2 tbsp cooking sherry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp capers (drained)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 500F
- Slice the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds
- Pour cooking sherry into an 8×8 baking dish then lay the tomatoes, cut side up, in the pan
- In a small bowl, combine the parsley, capers, oregano, garlic, and half of the breadcrumbs
- Fill each tomato with a pinch of cheese
- Put one scoop of caper mix into each tomato
- Top with the remaining breadcrumbs and drizzle with olive oil
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and the breadcrumbs golden brown