One day, I saw a recipe online for Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Shells and decided we could make that ourselves. I’ve only ever made stuffed shells one way, with marinara, spinach, and cheese. I never even thought about there being multiple ways to stuff pasta shells. And it came out really good!
I based the filling off of my regular spinach and artichoke dip recipe, then combined that with the way I made my regular stuffed shells. These are so easy to make and go a long way. We usually have leftovers for lunch the next day.
My favorite part of this meal is how cheesy the whole thing is. The filling is full of three different kinds of cheese and topped with more cheese before it’s cooked. And the spinach makes it healthy then, right?
Step by Step
Start by boiling the shells as directed. For this, I have learned the hard way that the store-brand shells tend to break a lot easier than the name brand. You want to boil the shells so that they are soft, but not overcooked. Since they are still going to bake, it’s ok to be slightly undercooked. If they are too soft, they’ll break as you try to stuff them.
Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Then add the chopped artichoke to the pan, cooking for just a few minutes.
Lower the heat down to medium, and add the spinach. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach wilts.
Add in the cream cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses. Stir it continuously to melt the cheese, making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
Move the artichoke mixture into a bowl and let it cool for just a few minutes so it isn’t too hot to work with.
I like to set my work area up with the shells to the right, the artichoke mixture in the middle, and the glass dish to the left. Grab a shell, and put a scoop of filling inside it, then lay it in the pan. Continue the same with all the shells.
Top the shells with more mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is all melted.
Shop This Post
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Shells
- 8 oz pasta shells
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz artichoke hearts (drained and chopped)
- 5 oz baby spinach leaves
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook shells as directed
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat
- Add the artichokes and cook for a few minutes
- Lower the heat to medium and add the spinach leaves, stirring constantly until wilted
- Mix in the cream cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, and 1/2 cup parmesan, stirring constantly until they are melted
- Stuff the cooked shells with the artichoke mixture and layer in a baking dish
- Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the cheese has melted