Anyone who’s ever gone out to eat with me can tell you that fried mozzarella sticks are my favorite appetizer. When I was in high school, my best friend and I would rate the local restaurants based on their mozzarella sticks.
I could seriously make a meal out of them. And overall, I don’t like or eat a lot of fried foods. But fry me up some mozzarella cheese and I am all over it!
When we made our Mozzarella (Not So) Flatbread, we ended up with extra fresh mozzarella cheese. Justin cut a few pieces off and would eat them with tomatoes to make a Caprese salad, but we still had a lot.
One night, probably around 8 pm like we tend to do, we decided that we should make some fried mozzarella with the cheese. We thought about cutting it into strips to make them into sticks, but that was more work and we were feeling lazy.
So, instead, we just cut slices off of the large block of cheese and breaded them just like that and made fried mozzarella cakes out of them. Then, of course, we had to dip them in a delicious marinara sauce. Fried mozzarella just isn’t complete without sauce!
Step by Step
In a large skillet, heat your frying oil over medium heat. The exact amount of oil you need will depend on the size of pan that you have. You want enough oil that it will cover about half of the cakes once they are in there.
Slice the mozzarella cheese into pieces that are about 1/2 inch thick.
In one small bowl, mix the olive oil and seasonings. Use three more bowls to add the flour, egg, and breadcrumbs to their own bowls.
For each piece of cheese, bread it by going down the line. Start with the oil mixture, then the flour, followed by the eggs, and finally the breadcrumbs. Continue the process with all of the cheese.
Once the cheese is ready and the oil is hot, carefully set each piece of cheese in the oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
Remove the fried cheese from the pan and place it on paper towels or a cooling rack to absorb some of the oil.
Serve the fried mozzarella cakes warm with marinara sauce.
Fried Mozzarella Cakes
- 1/2 cup oil (for frying)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese (fresh)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- In a large skillet, heat the frying oil over medium heat
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into pieces about 1/2 inch thick
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, basil, and oregano
- In three more small bowls, pour the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs into one bowl each
- Take each piece of cheese and coat it first with the oil and seasonings, then the flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs
- Once the oil is ready, place the breaded cheese in the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side
- Remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack or paper towels to absorb some of the oil
- Serve warm with marinara sauce
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.