Adding ramen noodles to a bowl of sweet and sour chicken gives it a bit of a crunch. Plus the broccoli means you get your veggies, too!Jump to Recipe
So the only time I’ve really eaten ramen noodles was as a poor college kid. I loved the noodles! They were so salty and kept me full while being cheap and easy. It’s perfect. But as I got older, I realized that there are so many other delicious meals that I can make on my own. So ramen noodles took a backseat for a while.
Now, I thought it would be cool to use them in a recipe, but without the extremely salty and MSG-filled flavor packets. Unfortunately, I can’t find the noodles without the flavor package. So I just save those for later in case we need to flavor some noodles. Packets like that are perfect for when we go camping.
Using orange juice mixed with vinegar gives this a sweet and sour chicken taste without having to do takeout. Adding the broccoli makes it a bit healthier, and the noodles add a crunch to everything.
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 375F. Crush the ramen noodles and spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast for about 7-9 minutes, stirring at least once.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add them to the pan. Sauté, stirring as needed, until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the pan and pour in the orange juice.
Add the broccoli and cover. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
Pour the vinegar mixture into the broccoli and add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt.
Cook for a few more minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Add the chicken back to the pan and cook for another minute to warm the chicken.
Top the chicken with the toasted ramen noodles and serve your sweet and sour chicken warm.
If you know you are going to have leftovers, I suggest waiting to add the toasted ramen noodles. Those will get soft if they sit in a leftover container with the sauce on the sweet and sour chicken. Keep the chicken mixture in one container in the refrigerator and the noodles in their own container on the counter. Reheat the chicken either in the microwave or on the stovetop, then add the noodles at the end.
Originally Published On: July 17, 2020
Sweet and Sour Chicken with Broccoli and Ramen Noodles
- 3 oz ramen noodles (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 head broccoli (chopped)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Crush the ramen noodles and spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for about 7-9 minutes, stirring at least once
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add them to the pan
- Sauté, stirring as needed, until the chicken is cooked through
- Remove the chicken and pour the orange juice into the pan
- Add the broccoli and cover
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and cornstarch
- Pour the vinegar mixture into the broccoli and add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt
- Cook for a few more minutes, until the sauce has thickened
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cook for another minute to warm the chicken
- Top the chicken with the toasted ramen noodles and serve your sweet and sour chicken warm
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutrition content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.