One weekend we set out to make our own flatbread with the tomatoes we received in our Bountiful Basket. Also, the fresh mozzarella cheese was calling Justin when we were grocery shopping. We put all of it together to make a mozzarella-topped flatbread.
Our final product was delicious, but the flatbread wasn’t really very flat! We all liked how thick and fluffy the crust came out, so we will probably continue to do it the same way from now on.
The first time I made this, I used my homemade pizza dough for the flatbread. It came out very thick, so I used a canned pizza dough the next time. While I prefer to make my own homemade foods, the canned dough worked better.
Flatbread is a great appetizer when you are cooking for a crowd. Since we weren’t making this for others, just ourselves, we ate it similar to a pizza and made a meal out of the mozzarella-topped flatbread for our family. It’s probably equivalent to a large pizza.
This was one of the first times I’ve ever cooked with fresh mozzarella rather than the pre-shredded bagged cheese. It made a world of difference. We may be getting fresh cheese from now on for anything like this.
The recipe we based our meal off of can be found here, and that links to her recipe for an herb-butter as well. I used that as a sauce on the flatbread.
Unfortunately, when we made this, our herb garden hadn’t grown enough from replanting. I wasn’t able to grab fresh herbs, but if you have that opportunity then fresh will almost always taste better.
Step by Step
Combine the butter with the herbs to make your herb butter then spread that out on the dough as you would a sauce.
Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese on the flatbread.
Add the tomatoes and small pieces of fresh mozzarella cheese around the dough.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the crust starts to brown and the cheese is fully melted. After removing the flatbread from the oven, let it cool for a few minutes then top with fresh basil. Cut into slices and serve warm!
Originally Published On: September 17, 2018
Last Updated On: December 23, 2019
Fresh Mozzarella-Topped (Not So) Flatbread
- 1 can pizza dough (refrigerated)
- 2 tbsp butter (softened)
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese (fresh)
- 1 tomato
- 8 basil leaves (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper
- Place the dough on the baking sheet and stretch using a rolling pin or hands until it fills the baking sheet
- Combine the softened butter with herbs to make an herb-butter and spread on the dough as you would a sauce
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over the herb-butter
- Cut the fresh mozzarella cheese into small pieces and spread over the other cheeses
- Slice the tomato into small wedges and spread on the flatbread
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust starts to brown and the cheeses have melted
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before sprinkling with fresh chopped basil
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.