I saw a recipe in a Cooking Light magazine a
We made this for dinner, but it would also be great as an appetizer or for a party. When I first cooked it, we ate it just how it was. When I ate the leftovers the next day, I dipped it in some marinara sauce and it was even better. Of course, I love marinara sauce, so I may be a bit biased.
This was also the first time I tried one of these braided foods, and it was actually much easier than I thought it would be. Now that I’ve done it once, I think I can make it look nicer next time, and won’t be so hesitant to try other similar recipes.
Step by Step
Start by preheating the oven to 450 and let the pizza dough sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Then heat a large skillet over medium heat with a bit of oil. Add minced garlic and spinach to the pan and cook until the spinach has wilted.
Meanwhile, mix together the ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, then add the spinach and shredded chicken to the mixture as well.
Roll out the pizza dough on a piece of parchment paper until it’s about a 20″ x 6″ rectangle and spoon the chicken mixture down the center.
Use a knife to make angled cuts that are about an inch wide on both sides. Make sure that you make them so they match up pretty evenly down both sides.
Starting at the top, carefully fold the cuts over, alternating sides and folding at an angle. I found it worked best to fold down so that one piece matches up with the next lower piece on the opposite side.
Slowly make the stromboli into a ring. This is where I had the most trouble. As I started to shape it, I had issues in a few places with the dough getting stretched a little too thin. I also wasn’t quite sure how to meld the two ends together but made it work well enough. With a little more practice I think I could get it looking magazine picture perfect.
Brush the dough with a bit of olive oil and bake it for about 18-20 minutes or until the stromboli is golden brown.
Cheesy Chicken and Spinach Stromboli Ring
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 oz spinach (chopped)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 6 oz chicken (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 450 and let pizza dough sit at room temperature
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil, minced garlic, and spinach, cooking until spinach has wilted
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and shredded chicken
- Stir cooked spinach and garlic into cheese mixture
- Roll out the pizza dough to about 20″ x 6″ on a piece of parchment paper
- Spread the mixture down the center, leaving about 1 1/2 inches on each side
- Slice tabs into dough at a diagonal, making sure there is an even amount
- Carefully fold the tabs over the mixture, bringing the end of one to the top of the next on the opposite side
- Slowly form braided dough into a ring and pinch edges together
- Brush dough with olive oil and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.