My favorite type of cheese is an extra sharp cheddar cheese. We have a few recipes that also use white cheddar cheese, and it’s delicious. Our problem is the amount. I can only find the cheese in an 8oz block and most of my recipes call for either 2oz or 4oz.
The last time we had some of this leftover cheese, we decided to make a pasta with the cheese. Well, I have to give the proper credit, this recipe was all Justin’s idea, I just helped along the way.
The white cheddar cheese gives a sharpness to the pasta sauce that makes it a bit different from most white sauces we’ve made before. And the sauce comes out very creamy, which I always prefer.
The meal didn’t take too long to make, either. Only about 30 minutes, so it’s something that could easily be thrown together on a busy weeknight. With Tyler in kindergarten now and Justin is his Den Leader for Cub Scouts, our weeknights have been getting busier every week.
Step by Step
Cook the pasta as directed.
Meanwhile, mix 1/4 cup of flour with the basil, salt, and pepper. Coat each chicken breast in the flour mixture.
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Then place the chicken in the warm pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook the chicken, turning as needed, until it is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into strips.
Pour in the white wine and milk. Slowly whisk in 2 tbsp of flour and raise the heat to medium-high.
Bring the sauce to a boil while stirring constantly for about one minute. Then turn the heat to low and stir in the cheese
Place each portion of pasta on your serving plates. Top with chicken and pour the sauce over everything. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
White Cheddar Chicken Pasta
- 8 oz linguine noodles
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 oz white cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Cook the linguine according to the directions
- Combine 1/4 cup of flour with the basil, salt, and pepper
- Coat each chicken breast with the flour mixture
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter
- Add the chicken to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low
- Cook for about 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, flipping as needed
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into strips
- Pour in the white cooking wine and milk
- Slowly whisk in the flour and raise the heat to medium-high
- Bring to a boil for about one minute, stirring constantly
- Turn the heat to low and add the cheese, stirring until it’s melted
- Place a serving of pasta on each plate, top with chicken and cover with the sauce
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.