Stromboli is a great alternative to pizza night to be able to switch things up. It’s also a fun recipe for the kids to help make!Jump to Recipe
Stromboli is just pizza rolled up. At least, that’s what I told my boys. Tyler argued that he prefers pizza flat. Oh well, he still ended up eating it. I enjoy stromboli nights because I enjoy pizza so much, and this does taste similar!
Usually, I will just make a regular pizza. But now and then I get the itch for something different and decide to make some stromboli for us all. It’s almost just as easy to make as pizza, and one of my favorites.
This is also a great recipe for kids to help with because everyone can make their own custom stromboli. My boys love when we lay out all the options and let them fill their own, so it’s exactly what they want.
You can make these from canned pizza dough, or make your own if you have the tools and the time. I often use the dough from my homemade pizza in a bread machine. But when I am short on time, I grab a can of pizza dough from the grocery store.
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 375F and flour your prepping surface. Roll out the dough until it is about 1/4″ thick. Slice either into half or in quarters, depending on the size stromboli you want to make. I usually do thirds. One for Justin, one for me, and one for the boys to split.
Decide which toppings you want in your stromboli, and place them in the center of each piece of dough. Make sure to leave a bit around the edges so you have room to roll the dough without everything coming out.
Gently roll the stromboli over itself, starting from the smaller side. Pinch the edges together to help seal everything. Carefully place the stromboli on a preheated baking stone (or baking sheet) and mark them if you need so you know which is which. Coat with melted butter to help brown the crust.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the stromboli are golden brown.
Originally Published On: March 27, 2019
Last Updated On: March 18, 2020
- 1 can pizza dough
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 small jar pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Any other desired toppings
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- On a clean working surface, dust with flour and roll out the dough to about 1/4" thickness
- Slice in half or thirds, depending on the size stromboli you want to make
- Put all desired toppings down the center, leaving 1/4″ on each side
- Gently roll the dough, starting from the smaller side, onto itself to make strombolis
- Seal the edges by pinching them together
- Coat with melted butter to help brown the crust
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown