Ever since Tyler started kindergarten, which means 5 days per week of school, our schedule has gotten a bit crazier. There are some nights that, by the time we get home from school pickup, we only have an hour before we have to be somewhere else. Those nights, I like quick and easy recipes so we aren’t rushing through dinner. That’s where a meal of BBQ Chicken Melt works well.
One-pan recipes and those with few ingredients are great for busy school nights. Right now, we only have Tyler doing Cub Scouts in the evening, but between that, getting his backpack and lunchbox unpacked, checking his folder, doing some of his (optional) homework, showers, and bedtime routine, we aren’t left with a lot of time.
One of these crazy nights I decided to try something new and completely different for us. We also were low on food and needed to go grocery shopping, so I was a bit limited.
And that’s where the idea for this BBQ Chicken Melt came from. It’s only 5 ingredients and all foods that our family enjoys. I decided on the meal as I was making it. Earlier in the day
Step by Step
In a medium saucepan, pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken. Set the heat to medium-high, and stir
Meanwhile, toast the bread in a regular toaster at a medium setting. Butter the bread with just a small amount of butter per slice.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pan and shred it. Return the chicken to the pan and stir to coat it all with the BBQ sauce.
Set the toast on a baking sheet and cover each piece with a scoop of the shredded chicken.
Cover the chicken with the cheese of your choice. I put shredded mozzarella on ours, but provolone would also be a good choice. I find any white cheese goes well with BBQ.
Broil the chicken and toast for a few minutes, just enough to melt the cheese.
Originally Published On: October 29, 2018
Last Updated On: July 3, 2019
BBQ Chicken Melt
- 2 lbs chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, add the chicken and your choice of bbq sauce
- Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally, so the chicken doesn’t stick to the pan
- Meanwhile, toast the bread then lightly butter each piece
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the pan, shred it, then put it back in the pan and sauce to coat
- Lay the bread out on a baking sheet
- Place a scoop of the bbq chicken on each piece of bread
- Top with cheese
- Broil for about 3-5 minutes, until the cheese has melted
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.