Make a healthier version of a Ham and Cheese Hot Pocket at home with this easy recipe that uses the bread machine and a few simple ingredients.Jump to Recipe
One of my favorite combinations for a sandwich is simply ham and cheese. Because of this, when we were making homemade hot pockets, my choice was the Ham and Cheese Hot Pocket. It’s such a classic combination and can work well for almost any meal.
We rarely have ham for dinner, but I like it on a sandwich. I’ve also added some to my scrambled eggs to have a bit of meat with breakfast.
Cheddar cheese has always been my favorite cheese. The sharper the better. And usually, if we buy a block, it has to be the Cracker Barrel brand. I know it costs more, but it’s worth it to me.
The same combination of deli ham and sharp cheddar cheese is used for Christmas Sandwiches. They are a family tradition, and having something similar reminds me of family.
Step by Step
Add all of the ingredients for the dough into the bread machine. Set it to the dough setting and let it run. My machine takes 90 minutes to make a dough, but that can vary by machine. Make sure to look at the manual for yours so you know how to use it.
When the dough is almost done cooking, prepare your ingredients. For a ham and cheese hot pocket, this means tearing the ham into pieces and shredding the cheese.
Once the dough is finished cooking, roll the dough out on a floured surface. Cut the dough into quarters. Preheat the oven to 350F.
For each hot pocket, place about 1/4 of the salami and cheese down the center of the dough.
Use a pizza cutter to slice diagonal cuts into the dough at regular intervals. I find about 1/2″ works best. Cut the top and bottom off. Fold those over, then make the braid. Start by grabbing the end of the top piece and folding it over until it meets with the second on the other side. Repeat with the top piece on the opposite side.
Continue this pattern until you reach the bottom. Tuck the bottom two pieces around the bottom. Carefully move the hot pockets to a baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the egg and water. Use a pastry brush to coat the dough. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
Originally Published On: August 1, 2019
Ham and Cheese Hot Pocket
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 3/8 cup water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 lb ham (sliced)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- all-purpose flour (for dusting work surface)
- Add all dough ingredients to bread machine and set to dough
- Chop the ham into small pieces
- Shred the cheese if it isn't already shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Roll dough out on floured work surface to about 1/8-1/4 inch thickness
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into quarters
- Add the fillings to the center of the dough
- Cut the dough in diagonals on either side and fold over until the entire hot pocket is braided
- Whisk the egg and water together to form an egg wash and brush the dough
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the dough is golden brown