Fried chicken and waffles may sound like an odd combination at first. But once you try this Southern American meal, you’ll realize what you’ve been missing.
I think fried chicken and waffles has to be one of the most Southern meals I’ve ever made! Biscuits and gravy is a close second. But fried chicken and waffles covered with maple syrup seems to have originated in the American south. There were earlier versions in other countries and in the Northern states. But this particular combination is very Southern.
The first time I had chicken and waffles was at a food truck event in downtown Orlando when we were in college. I remember not being so sure about it, but I didn’t care for much at the other food trucks. I figured, if needed, I could always deconstruct the meals and have the fried chicken separate from the waffles.
Though, after that first bite, there was no reason to separate the two foods! Fried chicken and waffles is such a delicious, surprising, combination. Normally, I eat ketchup or ranch with my fried chicken. Maple syrup actually works really well with both the fried chicken and the waffles.
After having fried chicken and waffles at a few food truck events, Justin decided he really wanted to try making some at home. We already have a recipe for waffles, so we used that as our base. While I was making the waffles, he was battering and frying the chicken. Tyler and Ryan weren’t so sure about this meal. They ended up pulling it apart into two meals, but they still enjoyed both pieces.
Step by Step
Place the bread flour in one bowl, eggs in another bowl, and bread crumbs in a third bowl.
Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, eggs, bread crumbs, then back into the egg, and into the bread crumbs once more.
Carefully place the chicken in the warm oil. Turn after about 3-5 minutes, when it’s golden-brown on the bottom. Cook another 3-5 minutes on the other side.
Remove from the pan and place on a wire rack.
Place a waffle on a serving plate and top with chicken. Drizzle with syrup and serve warm.
Originally Published On: May 11, 2020
Fried Chicken and Waffles
- 4 waffles
- 1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 cups oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Prepare waffles as directed (If you are making from scratch, get those started)
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat
- Place the bread flour in one bowl, eggs in another bowl, and bread crumbs in a third bowl
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, eggs, bread crumbs, then back into the egg, and into the bread crumbs once more
- Carefully place the chicken in the warm oil
- Turn after about 3-5 minutes, when it’s golden-brown on the bottom
- Cook another 3-5 minutes on the other side
- Remove from the pan and place on a wire rack
- Place a waffle on a serving plate and top with chicken
- Drizzle with syrup and serve warm
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.