Whenever we go to Olive Garden I always get the soup, salad, and breadstick meal. And of course, it’s always Chicken & Gnocchi Soup. Although, with two small kids and a tighter budget, we don’t get to go out to eat as often as we would like.
So I had to get creative and make my favorite soup myself. I looked up some copycat recipes online but they were all slightly different. So I took the best elements of them all and merged the recipes together to come up with my recipe.
It isn’t exactly like the Olive Garden version, but it’s close enough to satisfy my cravings in between outings. I’ve been tweaking the recipe every time I make it, but I have a good recipe set now. It’s delicious with some homemade breadsticks.
I had a hard time finding the gnocchi the first time I went to the store. It’s usually with all the dry pasta (think spaghetti, lasagna, etc.) and on the top shelf in a box. I wish the boxes were a little bigger because I would like more gnocchi in the soup, but not as much as two boxes would make. I keep saying I am going to do one and a half boxes next time, but always forget when I make my grocery list! The rest of the ingredients are pretty standard and easy to find.
Step by Step
Boil the chicken until it is cooked through then shred the chicken. I like to use the paddle attachment on my stand mixer to quickly and easily shred the chicken. If you do, just watch it closely because it will go from shredded to pulp very quickly.
Stir in the shredded chicken, chicken broth, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring this to a slight boil.
Add the gnocchi into the simmering soup and cook for about 3-4 minutes. The gnocchi will start to float when they are cooked.
Place the spinach in the stockpot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has all wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with cold water and stir it into the simmering soup. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the soup thickens. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Serve warm. Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated on the stovetop.
Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 16 oz potato gnocchi
- 6 oz baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- Boil chicken until cooked through then shred the chicken
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat
- Cook onion, celery, garlic, and carrots in the hot oil until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes
- Stir in shredded chicken, chicken broth, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese
- Stir gnocchi unto the simmering soup and cook until they begin to float, about 3-4 minutes
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes
- Whisk cornstarch into cold water until smooth
- Stir cornstarch mixture into simmering soup
- Cook until soup thickens slightly, about 5 minutes
- Add italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.