Breadsticks are one of my favorite side dishes. Well, anything with bread, really, but especially breadsticks. They go great with pasta, though I could eat them with almost any meal. We had them with fettuccine alfredo which was a perfect combination.
I’ve had this recipe for a long time and finally decided to give it a try. I really wish I had tried it sooner because the breadsticks are delicious! I believe the original recipe was in the book that came with my stand mixer. You can still make this without a stand mixer, you’ll just have to knead the dough by hand.
I was able to get about 24 breadsticks from this recipe. The number will depend on how you cut the dough and how thick you make them. We topped ours with cheese, but you could skip that if you prefer more traditional breadsticks.
We weren’t able to eat all of the breadsticks the night I made them, even though we did eat about half. The rest were put in an airtight container and were just as good the next day. The way I love breadsticks, I may have eaten one or two for breakfast in the morning!
Step by Step
Use the dough hook of a stand mixer to combine the water, sugar, and yeast. Raise the hook and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Add the salt and flour, one cup at a time, and mix it on high for 5 minutes. Let the dough rest again for another 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter and pour half of it into a jellyroll pan. Place the dough in the center of the pan and let it rest another 2-3 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 170F. Carefully spread the dough flat until it reaches the edges of the pan.
Spread the rest of the butter on the dough evenly.
Sprinkle the dough with the garlic powder and parmesan cheese.
Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough in half lengthwise and 12 columns to make 24 breadsticks.
Bake the breadsticks for 7 minutes then increase the temperature to 350F and bake another 12 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Remove the pan from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Use a pizza cutter to recut the breadsticks and serve.
Originally Published On: May 20, 2019
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cups parmesan cheese
- Mix water, sugar, and yeast in a stand mixer with the dough hook
- Let sit for 5 minutes
- Add salt and flour one cup at a time and mix on high for 5 minutes
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes
- Melt butter and pour half into a cookie sheet with sides
- Place dough in the center of the pan and let sit 2-3 minutes
- Preheat oven to 170F
- Spread dough flat until it reaches edges of the pan
- Pour the rest of the butter on the dough and spread it evenly
- Sprinkle garlic powder and parmesan all over the dough
- Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into two rows lengthwise and 12 height wise
- Put the pan in the oven for about 7-10 minutes
- Increase oven temp to 350F and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes
- Re-cut breadsticks and serve
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.