5 ingredients come together to make delectable brown sugar fudge. It’s perfect for the holidays or to indulge a sweet tooth.Jump to Recipe
Fudge is probably one of the most overlooked dessert recipes. It’s much easier than it seems, and usually only requires a few ingredients. There are so many ways to make fudge and so many flavors. While we’ve been trying a lot recently, this brown sugar fudge has been one of my favorites.
Brown sugar is a great combination of the sweet goodness of sugar (yes, I have a massive sweet tooth) and the grounding flavor of molasses. Combine that with the thickness of evaporated milk plus some vanilla and powdered sugar all in melted butter and you have fudge!
The minimum required for traditional fudge is sugar, butter, and some type of milk. After that, you can add any flavors you want to the mixture or to the top. We’ve made a variety of flavors this year, including Butter-Pecan Fudge, Double Chocolate Fudge, and Treacle Fudge. They are all unique because of the added ingredients.
Step by Step
In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and evaporated milk. Stir constantly until the mixture begins to boil and reaches 240F on a candy thermometer (soft-ball stage).
Remove from the heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low until the sugar is incorporated, about 3-5 minutes. If you want to use your stand mixer like I did set it to the stir setting.
Pour the fudge into the prepared baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Use the parchment paper to remove the brown sugar fudge from the pan. Cut into one-inch square pieces.
Place the brown sugar fudge in airtight containers. If you live in a warm and humid climate like we do, you’ll want to store this in the refrigerator. Otherwise, it can be left on the counter in its container.
Originally Published On: November 27, 2020
Brown Sugar Fudge
- 8 tbsp butter (salted)
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 5 oz evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Line a 2.5 quart baking dish with parchment paper
- In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter
- Add the brown sugar and evaporated milk
- Stir constantly until the mixture begins to boil and reaches 240F on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage)
- Remove from the heat and pour into a mixing bowl
- Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar
- Mix with an electric mixer on low until the sugar is incorporated, about 3-5 minutes
- Pour the fudge into the prepared baking dish
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Use the parchment paper to remove the brown sugar fudge from the pan
- Cut into one-inch square pieces