My boys (ok, Justin and me too) are loving all the holiday cookies and desserts we have been trying lately. It’s all for the blog, right?! Well, this week we made another delicious recipe: a thumbprint cookie with a chocolate ganache covered in peppermint.
I started with a recipe from one of my many magazines, but the dough did not come out right at all so I had to modify a little bit as I went. The dough didn’t look pretty, but they still tasted amazing!
Tyler tried to help with making the thumbprints in the cookies, but after making the first batch, I noticed that his little thumbs weren’t making enough of an indent in the cookie. Even some of the ones I did the first batch weren’t enough. You have to really make a pretty decent dent in the cookies because it will close up a little as they bake.
Step by Step
Start by combining the sugars and the softened butter. This may be where my dough went wrong, as I was just a little short on the butter. I thought it would be ok, but my dough didn’t come together at all.
Add the rest of the dough ingredients and mix it up. When I added the flour, the dough was still very dry, so I added an extra egg and some more vanilla extract until it became a little more of a dough that would stick together.
Gather about a tablespoon of dough, and roll it into a ball. Then flatten the dough and use your thumbs to make indents in the center of the cookies. Make the indent bigger than you think you need because it will close up as they bake.
Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes and then let them sit on the pan for a couple minutes. Then move them to a wire rack to let them cool completely.
Once the cookies are cool, make the ganache by melting the chocolate chips with the cream and stir it up.
Add a spoonful of the ganache to the center fo the cookies, and sprinkle the peppermint pieces on the chocolate.
Shop This Post
Peppermint Chocolate Ganache Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (semisweet)
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup peppermint candies (crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Mix the butter and sugars together
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt
- Stir in the flour and baking powder gradually until a dough forms
- Grab 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball then flatten
- Use thumbs to make a large indent in the cookies
- Bake for about 12 minutes then let sit on the pan for another 5
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack until completely cool
- Combine chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl and melt, 30 seconds at a time, until they are fully melted
- Let the ganache rest for about 5 minutes, then drop a spoonful on each cookie
- Top with crushed peppermint candies