For a long time, I was reluctant to try recipes with Cream of Chicken Soup in them. Not because I didn’t like it. And we aren’t allergic. But the ingredients kept me from using it. At least, once I learned how to read a nutrition label, I stopped buying it. After I learned how to make my own homemade cream of chicken soup, I started using it again. The soup makes a perfect base for chicken and broccoli with garlic cream.
By combining the chicken soup with minced garlic, butter, and water, you get a sauce that’s thick enough to stick to the meat. Personally, I don’t care for a thin sauce that runs right off of your food. Cream of chicken soup is very thick, so it holds everything together well. The garlic adds a bit of extra flavor to the sauce and the butter and water thin it out just a bit.
And did you notice I added some green to it, too? I hate to admit it, but we don’t eat enough vegetables here. Having a sauce to dip the vegetables in is the only way I will eat most of them. If you prefer your broccoli closer to a steamed texture, put it in with the chicken as directed. Since we all prefer it closer to the raw side, I waited a bit to add the broccoli. It still cooked in the sauce for a few minutes to soak up the flavor but wasn’t soft.
No matter which way you choose to make it, this recipe is a great easy recipe. It’s all cooked in one pan, which you know I love that! The less I have to clean afterward the better. I used my cast-iron pan, but any large skillet will work for this recipe.
Step by Step
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp of butter. Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side until it’s browned but not cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the pan and add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter. Add the minced garlic and brown the garlic, stirring for about 2 minutes.
Whisk in the cream of chicken soup and water, cooking until it starts to simmer.
Turn the heat to low and add the chicken and broccoli to the pan. If you want the broccoli to be crispier, wait to add it until the chicken is almost cooked.
Cover and cook another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Originally Published On: August 26, 2019
Chicken and Broccoli with Garlic Cream
- 2 lbs chicken (boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp butter
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 10.5 oz Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 head broccoli (chopped)
- 1 tsp parsley
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp of butter
- Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt, pepper, and paprika
- Cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side until it’s browned but not cooked through
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter
- Add the minced garlic and brown the garlic, stirring for about 2 minutes
- Whisk in the cream of chicken soup and water, cooking until it starts to simmer
- Turn the heat to low and add the chicken and broccoli to the pan
- Cover and cook another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- Serve warm garnished with parsley
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.