Frittatas, similar to gumbo and ratatouille, are one of those recipes that are great for using up a bunch of leftovers that you may have in the refrigerator. That’s precisely how we came up with this recipe. Justin wanted something different for breakfast and decided to experiment.
We later looked it up and realized he basically made a frittata, even though we had never heard of them before. There were a lot of leftover vegetables in the refrigerator as well as some sausage, so he just started throwing things together.
That’s one of the best parts of this breakfast, it is entirely customizable to your tastes and preferences, and what ingredients you have on hand! For example, we had some sausage leftover from making sausage biscuits and gravy, sliced mushrooms, onion, grape tomatoes, and spinach. If you don’t want or like any of that, you can substitute other ingredients. Justin said next time, he will probably make it with green pepper, but it was still good without.
We used sausage in these since we had it leftover from before. But, you could also fry up some ham or bacon as well. Again, whatever you like, whatever you have on hand, whatever you need to use before it goes bad, can all go into this recipe.
Step by Step
Start by slicing and chopping your vegetables or whatever fillings you decide to use. Also, cook up the meat that you’ll use, in our case, the sausage.
Place the vegetables in the pan with some oil to sauté. Depending on what vegetables you use, you’ll want to give them time to soften, and in the case of the spinach let it wilt.
Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper.
Once the vegetables are crisp-tender, spread them out, so they cover as much of the pan as possible in one layer. Pour the egg mixture on top of the vegetables, again trying to distribute it evenly and cover the pan.
Cook this for about 3-4 minutes, until the egg is firm on the bottom and starting to brown, similar to how you would cook the eggs for an omelet.
Carefully flip the frittata and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes. Then slice it up (I like to use a pizza cutter for this) and serve warm.
Sausage and Vegetable Frittata
- 1/2 cup sausage (cooked)
- 1/4 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup tomato (chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Slice or chop vegetables
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk and salt and pepper
- In a medium frying pan, saute the vegetables in olive oil and add the sausage
- Spread the vegetables and sausage out in the frying pan so they create one layer covering as much of the pan as possible
- Pour egg mixture over the vegetables, trying to distribute evenly so there aren’t any gaps
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the egg is firm on the bottom and starting to brown
- Carefully flip the egg over to cook the other side and top with cheese so the cheese melts while the bottom is cooking
- Serve warm sliced like a pizza
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.