There are so many ways to make an omelet. Some of them get really fancy with a lot of ingredients (such as a Greek Omelet), but I prefer a plain and simple Ham and Cheese Omelet. Bonus: I can usually get Ryan to eat this since he likes eggs and ham. Tyler doesn’t eat a lot of eggs, so he doesn’t care much for an omelet.
You can use almost any kind of ham, but we often have ham sliced from the deli. I like either honey ham or off-the-bone ham for these. The flavors aren’t overpowering, so it works well in the omelet. And, for me, the sharper the cheddar cheese the better!
We make omelets for breakfast and for breakfast-for-dinner, depending on what we are in the mood for at the time. Since the omelet is packed with protein, it makes a great breakfast to keep you full for a good portion of the day.
Step by Step
Cut the ham into small pieces and shred the cheese if it isn’t already.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together.
Heat a small pan over medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, making sure the egg spreads out to fill the pan.
Cook for about 5 minutes, until the egg is cooked on the bottom. Carefully flip the eggs, and place the ham and cheese on one half of the egg.
Let the eggs cook for another 3-5 minutes, until done on the bottom. Fold the half without fillings over on top and let it cook another minute or two to warm everything together.
Place a few pieces of the ham and cheese on the outside as a garnish. This is also a great way to tell the omelets apart if you are making a few with different ingredients in them.
Serve immediately while the eggs are still warm.
Ham and Cheese Omelet
- 2 slices deli ham
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Cut the deli ham into small pieces
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper
- Heat a small pan over medium heat
- Pour the eggs into the pan, making sure they spread to the edges
- Cook about 5 minutes, until the bottom is cooked
- Carefully flip the eggs
- Place most of the ham and cheese on one half of the eggs
- Cook another 2-3 minutes, until the bottom of the eggs are cooked
- Fold the side without fillings over the top
- Cook another 2-3 minutes to warm everything together
- Place the remaining ham and cheese on top to garnish
- Serve immediately while the eggs are still warm
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.