I don’t like all the extra crap that is put in all of our food these days, so I try to make as much as I can from scratch, including these delicious granola bars.
Tyler was so excited to help me with this and has had a few of them already today! He loves to help pour things in the mixing bowl, and mix, and he even helped spread the granola out in the pan before we baked them. He really wanted to use his oven mitts to help get them out of the oven but I had to draw the line there!!
We used to buy granola bars at the store often because they are great for a quick breakfast or to send in the boy’s lunch boxes. But they always come individually wrapped meaning it creates a lot of waste.
When I make granola bars at home, I can control exactly what ingredients go into them. And I can also store them in our own containers to get out one at a time as we need them.
The great thing about making granola bars yourself is being able to make them how you like. If you prefer a different dried fruit then you can substitute something instead of raisins. For those trying to cut sugar, omit the chocolate chips.
If you want a granola to use as either a cereal or in yogurt, then you can skip the refrigeration. This keeps them from forming together and you can crumble it. We did this when I completely forgot the refrigeration step.
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 325F and grease a 9×13 pan with coconut oil.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the coconut oil and honey until they are well combined.
Add the oats, oat flour, and baking soda until combined. Then stir in the raisins and chocolate chips.
Press the granola mixture into the prepared baking dish. Make sure they are compacted very well or they will fall apart. I like to use a sheet of wax paper and use your hands to press it down.
Bake the granola bars for about 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Let the bars cool for at least 10-15 minutes before cutting into bars. Place in the refrigerator until they cool completely. If you don’t refrigerate, they won’t stay together.
Shop This Post
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (softened)
- 1 cup honey
- 4 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup oat flour ((blend oats in blender))
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Grease 9×13 pan with coconut oil
- In large bowl, beat coconut oil and honey until well blended
- Add in the oats, oat flour, and baking soda
- Stir in raisins and chocolate chips
- Press into greased pan, compacting well or they will fall apart
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting into bars
- Cool completely in refrigerator before removing form pan so they don’t fall apart