Make this easy, one-pan shrimp pasta recipe with a Cajun flair and creamy sauce that’s sure to satisfy any seafood lover.Jump to Recipe
Normally, I don’t like a lot of seafood, but shrimp is one of my favorites. Mix that in a pasta with a creamy sauce and I am sold! That’s why I knew this recipe for shrimp pasta would be a winner in our house.
I found the original recipe in one of my cooking magazines and knew we had to give it a try immediately. Most of the ingredients are items we usually have on hand, so we only had to grab a couple of things to make this delicious meal.
The original recipe called for green bell pepper. We decided that a red bell pepper would be better in it. I think we also were forced into that decision because the grocery store was out of green peppers at the time. We made a few changes to the shrimp pasta as we cooked. But, that’s just how I cook. And it gives us a unique dish to share!
Step by Step
Chop the bell pepper and mince the garlic. Then prepare the pasta according to the package. When you drain the pasta, reserve about 1/3 cup of the water.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add one tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the bell pepper to the pan and cook for a few minutes until they are crisp-tender.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the Cajun seasoning, flour, and shrimp and toss to coat the shrimp.
Add the shrimp. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are done. Make sure to flip the shrimp at least once while cooking.
Put the remaining oil in the skillet and add the cayenne and minced garlic. Then stir in the liquid reserved from the pasta.
Mix in the salt, bay leaves, and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Discard the bay leaves and add the half-and-half, cooking until heated through.
Serve garnished with green pepper and parmesan cheese.
Originally Published On: November 28, 2017
Last Updated On: June 8, 2019
Creamy Shrimp Pasta Recipe
- 6 oz whole-grain linguine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 lb large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 tbsp canola oil (divided)
- 1 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 3/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/3 cup pasta cooking liquid
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Combine Cajun seasoning, flour, and shrimp in a medium bowl and toss to coat
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan
- Add the bell pepper to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until crisp-tender
- Add shrimp mixture to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are done
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan
- Add cayenne pepper and garlic
- Add reserved 1/3 cup cooking liquid, salt, bay leaves, and tomatoes, bringing it to a boil
- Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened
- Discard bay leaves
- Stir in half-and-half
- Cook 1 minute over medium heat or until thoroughly heated
- Sprinkle with green pepper and parmesan cheese