Vegetable fritters make a great side dish or snack for kids and adults to try to sneak in some vegetables for everyone.
I’ll be the first to admit, I have a hard time eating my veggies. As such, it’s hard to force my boys to eat them since I don’t either. That’s where I rely on recipes like these vegetable fritters.
They are a tasty way to sneak in a lot of vegetables and I can even trick myself into eating these! I made them with zucchini and carrots. But you could add in any other similar vegetables.
The first attempt went well, but after practice, I was able to make them even better the second time. I don’t fry very many foods, so I wasn’t sure what I was doing when frying these.
Since then, between making vegetable fritters and other recipes, I’ve learned a few things. You have to make sure there is enough oil in the pan and it’s hot before adding the food. I try to be stingy because I don’t like
Step by Step
When making almost any recipe with zucchini in it, you’ll need to make sure to get most of the moisture out of the vegetable slices first. I used a mandolin slicer to shred the zucchini, but you can also use a box grater. Then put it in a mesh strainer and sprinkle a bit of salt and mix it into the zucchini and let it sit for about 10 minutes to drain.
Meanwhile, use the same shredder to shred the carrots and mix those in a large mixing bowl with the garlic, flour, eggs, and scallions. Squeeze as much liquid out of the zucchini as possible and add that to the bowl then stir it all together. Mix in some salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Meanwhile, scoop about 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture and form it into patties and place that on a plate. Continue until you use all of the mixture. NOTE: If they are falling apart, add a bit more flour to the
Place the patties in the hot oil. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip the patties and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until they are brown on both sides.
Remove from the pan and place on a plate with a napkin or cloth to absorb some of the oil. Continue with all of the patties until they are done. Serve immediately with sour cream to dip in if desired.
Originally Published On: September 1, 2018
Last Updated On: January 13, 2020
- 2 large zucchini (shredded)
- 2 cups carrots (shredded)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sour cream
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes
- Squeeze zucchini to release as much liquid as possible
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, carrots, garlic, flour, eggs, and green onion
- Add in remaining 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, scoop about 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable mixture and form into patties and place on a plate
- NOTE: If the patties don't hold together add a bit more flour to the mixture
- Continue with the rest of the mixture until all patties are formed
- Place patties in oil and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until browned
- Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes or until browned
- Continue until all patties have been fried
- Once finished, transfer to a cooling rack to let the excess oil drip off
- Serve immediately with sour cream to dip