I’ll be the first to admit, I have a hard time eating my veggies. As such, it’s hard to force my boys to eat them since I don’t either. That’s where I rely on recipes like these vegetable fritters.
They are a tasty way to sneak in a lot of vegetables and I can even trick myself into eating these! I made them with zucchini and carrots, but you could add in any other similar vegetables.
The first attempt went well, but after practice I was able to make them even better the second time. I don’t fry very many foods, so I wasn’t sure what I was doing when frying these.
Since then, between making vegetable fritters and other recipes, I’ve learned that you have to make sure there is enough oil in the pan and it’s hot before adding the food. I try to be stingy because I don’t like
Step by Step
When making almost any recipe with zucchini in it, you’ll need to make sure to get most of the moisture out of the vegetable slices first. I used a mandolin slicer to shred the zucchini, but you can also use a box grater. Then put it in a colander and sprinkle a bit of salt and mix it into the zucchini and let it sit for about 10 minutes to drain.
Meanwhile, use the same shredder to shred the carrots and mix those in a large mixing bowl with the garlic, flour, eggs, and scallions. Squeeze as much liquid out of the zucchini as possible and add that to the bowl then stir it all together. Mix in some salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large saute pan, over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Meanwhile, scoop about 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture and form it into patties and place that on a plate. Continue until you use all of the mixture.
Place the patties in the hot oil and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the bottom is browned.
Carefully flip the patties and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the are brown on both sides.
Remove from the pan and place on a plate with a napkin or cloth to absorb some of the oil. Continue with all of the patties until they are done.
Serve immediately with sour cream to dip in if desired.
Shop This Post
- 2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 2 cups carrots (shredded)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/3 cup green onion (chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sour cream
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Squeeze zucchini to release as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, carrots, garlic, eggs, and green onion. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, scoop about 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable mixture and form into patties and place on a plate.
- Continue with the rest of the mixture until all patties are formed.
- Place patties in oil and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- Once finished, transfer to a cooling rack and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately with sour cream to dip.