When we lived in Orlando, we would go to a restaurant called Bentos, and I would always get a Teriyaki Chicken Noodle Bowl. It was so good…. udon noodles, chicken, and broccoli with teriyaki sauce. It seemed like such a simple meal, but I never made it for myself.
Part of the problem was finding the udon noodles. I had been looking for a long time, both in Florida and Texas and finally found some udon noodles at our local HEB! I bought them, in the hopes of making a copycat recipe, and got really close on my first try!
I used the recipe for homemade teriyaki sauce from my 100 Days of Real Food book, and just decided to wing it from there. As I said, the ingredients seem easy, so I just started cooking to see what we ended up with.
Well, it’s not exactly Bento’s because I’m sure they have some secret ingredient in their sauce, but it’s really close. And good enough to have at home since we aren’t anywhere near a Bento’s anymore!
Step by Step
In a small mixing bowl, use a wire whisk to combine the soy sauce, cilantro, ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and garlic to make your teriyaki sauce.
Cook the udon noodles according to the package. The ones I buy say to fry in either olive oil or sesame oil. We tried sesame oil the first time and it was overpowering because of adding the teriyaki sauce. I suggest using olive oil so you don’t add to the flavor and sodium levels.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, sauté the broccoli in one tbsp of olive oil for about 5-7 minutes, until it starts to brown.
After removing the broccoli from the pan, add the remaining tbsp of olive oil and sauté the chicken until it is cooked through.
Return the broccoli to the pan and pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken and broccoli.
Gently fold in the udon noodles until they are covered with the sauce.
Cook for a few minutes until it has all warmed together.
Shop This Post
Teriyaki Chicken Noodle Bowl
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tbsp ginger (peeled and minced)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pkg udon noodles
- 1 bunch broccoli (chopped)
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, cut into strips)
- Combine soy sauce, cilantro, ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and garlic to make teriyaki sauce
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, saute broccoli in 1 tbsp olive oil until browned, about 5-7 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook the udon noodles according to package
- When broccoli has browned, remove and set aside, covering to keep warm
- Add more olive oil to the pan and saute chicken until cooked through
- Add teriyaki sauce to the pan with the broccoli and stir until warmed
- Gently fold in the udon noodles until covered with sauce
- Serve warm