Swap some of the oil for applesauce to make a slightly healthier version of strawberry muffins for a delicious easy breakfast.Jump to Recipe
I’ve read a lot of articles about making “healthy swaps” when baking. So, I decided to try one this time by switching the oil for applesauce. I didn’t want to do too many things at once, but you could also swap the all-purpose flour for whole-wheat flour.
The Strawberry Muffins only took about 15 minutes to prep and 25 to bake. It’s a great breakfast for something fairly quick while still having more than just a bowl of cereal.
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a muffin pan.
Prepare the dry ingredients and add them to the combined wet ingredients.
Carefully fold in the chopped strawberries.
Pour the batter in the muffin cups until they are about 2/3 cup full.
Bake the strawberry muffins for about 25 minutes. The center should be set and spring back when touched.
Because of the fresh strawberries, we placed the leftover muffins in a container in the refrigerator. The next morning I placed them in the microwave for about a minute to warm them up. Microwaves cary, so make sure you don’t do it too long or the berries will be too hot.
Originally Published On: July 13, 2020
Strawberry Muffins with Applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups strawberries (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a muffin pan
- Whisk the applesauce, sugar, and oil in a medium mixing bowl
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the combined wet ingredients
- Carefully fold in the chopped strawberries
- Pour the batter in the muffin cups until they are about 2/3 cup full
- Bake the strawberry muffins for about 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutrition content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.