One of Justin’s favorite meals is homemade chicken & dumplings. But it takes so much work to make it from scratch that I only do it a few times per year. In the meantime, this recipe for easy chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker will hold him over.
When I recently made this meal, I also made my own Cream of Chicken Soup. The soup was easy to make and the flavor was so much better than buying it canned! At this point, the only thing I don’t make from scratch in this recipe is the biscuits. But overall, most of this meal is made with real foods.
Plus, slow cooker meals are the best when it’s cool outside and/or when you have a busy day ahead and want dinner ready in the evening. The only work you have to do comes about an hour before the recipe is ready.
Of course, if you are making your own cream of chicken (which I highly recommend) then you need about 30 minutes to do that. I made the soup the night before and refrigerated it until I needed it for this meal and it worked just fine.
Step by Step
Place the chicken in the slow cooker and top each with a piece of butter.
Add the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, onion powder, and parsley. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or high for 3 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked through, shred it and place it back in the slow cooker. I find that using a pair of tongs and tearing the chicken right in the slow cooker works well for me. After it’s shredded, mix the chicken with the soup.
Cut the biscuits into quarters and place them on top of the chicken mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1-1 1/2 hours, until the biscuits are done in the center.
You can either stir the biscuits into the mixture before serving or scoop it out as-is with the biscuits on top. Serve warm.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 21 oz cream of chicken soup
- 14.5 oz chicken broth
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 8 biscuits (homestyle)
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker
- Cover each chicken breast with 1 tbsp of butter
- Pour in the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, onion powder, and parsley
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 7 hours
- Once the chicken is cooked through, shred it and place it back in the slow cooker
- Mix the chicken into the soup
- Cut the chicken into quarters and place them on top of the soup mix
- Cover and cook on high for 1-1 1/2 hours, until the biscuits are cooked through
- Either stir the biscuits into the mix before serving or serve with them on top
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.