When we decided to make some homemade hot pockets, Justin requested a Salami and Cheese Hot Pocket. I wouldn’t usually come up with this one. But we had some salami in the refrigerator so decided to try it out. I told him it would need something more, so we added cheese.
The ingredients list on a store-bought hot pocket is way too long. It shouldn’t take so many things to make something this simple. There was a half-used bag of Italian-blend cheese. It went really well with the salami.
If you can’t find a prepackaged Italian-blend, you can make your own. It’s a mixture of mozzarella, parmesan, romano, provolone, and fontina. We found that shredded cheese works best for hot pockets. It melts easier and has a more uniform texture.
Step by Step
Add all of the ingredients for the dough into the bread machine. Set it to the dough setting and let it run. My machine takes 90 minutes to make a dough, but that can vary by machine. Make sure to look at the manual for yours so you know how to use it.
When the dough is almost done cooking, prepare your ingredients. For a salami and cheese hot pocket, this means tearing the salami into pieces and shredding the cheese.
Once the dough is finished cooking, roll the dough out on a floured surface. Cut the dough into quarters. Preheat the oven to 350F.
For each hot pocket, place about 1/4 of the salami and cheese down the center of the dough.
Use a pizza cutter to slice diagonal cuts into the dough at regular intervals. I find about 1/2″ works best.
Cut the top and bottom off. Fold those over, then make the braid. Start by grabbing the end of the top piece and folding it over until it meets with the second on the other side. Repeat with the top piece on the opposite side.
Continue this pattern until you reach the bottom. Tuck the bottom two pieces around the bottom.
Carefully move the hot pockets to a baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the egg and water. Use a pastry brush to coat the dough. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
Salami and Cheese Hot Pocket
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 3/8 cup water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 lb salami (sliced)
- 1/2 cup Italian-blend cheese (shredded)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- all-purpose flour (for dusting work surface)
- Add all dough ingredients to bread machine and set to dough
- Chop the salami into small pieces
- Shred the cheese if it isn't already shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Roll dough out on floured work surface to about 1/8-1/4 inch thickness
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into quarters
- Add the fillings to the center of the dough
- Cut the dough in diagonals on either side and fold over until the entire hot pocket is braided
- Whisk the egg and water together to form an egg wash and brush the dough
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the dough is golden brown
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.