If you have extra green onions, use them for a delicious cream cheese-based dip. Serve roasted green onion dip with crackers or chips.Jump to Recipe
When I write the grocery list, but Justin does the grocery shopping, there can sometimes be some miscommunication. One such time, I needed 2 individual green onions and he bought 2 bundles of green onion. And I can only use so much green onion throughout the week for a garnish.
Actually, the recipe for Hot Virginia Dip was the basis for this recipe. Using the cream cheese as the base was delicious. The only real work that needs to be done is roasting the green onions before mixing the dip. But that’s easy to do.
If you like a lot of onion flavor, you could do another bundle of green onions. I thought it was perfect how it was. Justin said he would want to add more onions next time.
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 425F. Place the green onions in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and toss to coat.
Spread in an even layer and roast for 15-20 minutes. Your thinner pieces will start to crisp. That’s ok, it will all mix together in the end.
Place the onions in a food processor to finely chop. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Serve with chips or crackers. We had pita chips with ours and they were perfect!
Store remaining roasted green onion dip in the refrigerator. It will stay good for up to 2-3 days. Serve chilled.
Originally Published On: October 23, 2020
Roasted Green Onion Dip
- 12 green onions (trimmed and coarsely chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 lemon (zested and juiced)
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Place the green onions in a shallow baking pan
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and toss to coat
- Spread in an even layer and roast for 15-20 minutes
- Place the onions in a food processor to finely chop
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix until thoroughly combined
- Serve with chips or crackers
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutrition content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.