Pierogi are a delicious Polish dumpling often filled with potatoes and cheese. Turn that into pierogi lasagna for a quick and easy meal.Jump to Recipe
One of the foods that I was introduced to when I met my husband was pierogi. They are a Polish dumpling made by filling a pastry with either a sweet or savory mixture. The pierogi we eat is usually potato and cheese-filled. Since the pierogi taste similar to pasta, we decided to try pierogi lasagna.
We layered with mashed potatoes, cooked onions, and cheddar cheese.
Justin’s grandma sent me a recipe to make homemade pierogi, which we have done a few times. The recipe is delicious, but it takes a lot of work. I make them in a huge batch to freeze, but sometimes we need a quicker meal.
There are so many ways to make a pierogi. My homemade recipe also has a variant with sauerkraut that Justin really likes. But for the pierogi lasagna, we stuck to one that we all would eat. And it’s the easier version. One day, I may try to make a small batch of this with other fillings.
The first time I tried this, I bought the “oven-ready” lasagna noodles. Trust me, they may have their place, but not in this recipe. The noodles don’t get soft enough in this recipe when it’s baked, so you need to have the type that get boiled before using.
Step by Step
Preheat oven to 375F and grease 9×13 baking dish. Cook the lasagna noodles and mashed potatoes as directed.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onion until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Place 4 lasagna noodles in an even layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
Layer half of the mashed potatoes on top of the noodles and spread them evenly.
Top with half of the sautéed onions and 1 cup of the cheese.
Repeat with another layer of noodles, potatoes, onions, and cheese.
Top lasagna with the remaining four noodles and cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Originally Published On: February 25, 2019
Last Updated On: March 25, 2020
- 12 lasagna noodles (NOT oven-ready)
- 5 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 sweet onion (chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Grease 9×13 baking dish
- Cook lasagna noodles as directed
- Cook mashed potatoes as directed
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté onion until soft, adding salt and pepper to taste
- Place 4 lasagna noodles in an even layer on bottom of baking dish
- Layer 1/2 of the mashed potatoes on top of the noodles
- Top with 1/2 of the sautéed onions and 1 cup of the cheese
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, potatoes, onions, and cheese
- Top lasagna with remaining four noodles and cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly