One of the foods that I was introduced to when I met my husband was pierogi. They are a Polish dumpling made by filling a pastry with either a sweet or savory mixture. The pierogi we eat are usually potato and cheese filled.
Justin’s grandma sent me a recipe to make homemade pierogi, which we have done a few times. The recipe is delicious, but it takes a lot of work. I make them in a huge batch to freeze, but sometimes we need a quicker meal.
Since the pierogi dumplings taste similar to pasta, we made them in a layer similar to lasagna. Then we layered with mashed potatoes, cooked onions, and cheddar cheese.
There are so many ways to make a pierogi, and my homemade recipe also has a variant with sauerkraut that Justin really likes. But for the pierogi lasagna, we stuck to one that we all would eat and the easier version. One day, I may try to make a small batch of this with other fillings.
The first time I tried this, I bought the “oven-ready” lasagna noodles. Trust me, they may have their place, but not in this recipe. The noodles don’t get soft enough in this recipe when it’s baked, so you need to have the type that get boiled before using.
Step by Step
Preheat oven to 375F and grease 9×13 baking dish. Cook the lasagna noodles and mashed potatoes as directed.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onion until soft, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Place 4 lasagna noodles in an even layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
Layer half of the mashed potatoes on top of the noodles and spread them evenly.
Top with half of the sautéed onions and 1 cup of the cheese.
Repeat with another layer of noodles, potatoes, onions, and cheese.
Top lasagna with the remaining four noodles and cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- 12 lasagna noodles (NOT oven-ready)
- 5 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 sweet onion (chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Grease 9×13 baking dish
- Cook lasagna noodles as directed
- Cook mashed potatoes as directed
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté onion until soft, adding salt and pepper to taste
- Place 4 lasagna noodles in an even layer on bottom of baking dish
- Layer 1/2 of the mashed potatoes on top of the noodles
- Top with 1/2 of the sautéed onions and 1 cup of the cheese
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, potatoes, onions, and cheese
- Top lasagna with remaining four noodles and cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.