Use a blender to quickly mix the batter for paleo brownies that are also dairy-free and gluten-free for a healthier dessert option.Jump to Recipe
I love chocolate and I love brownies. But when one of your best friends has a dairy allergy, you have to rethink your standard brownie recipe.
I have vegan chocolate chips in the pantry that I keep just for when cooking for her. And I’ve seen a lot about making brownies with bananas to hold them together. The vegan chocolate chips aren’t very sweet, and neither is cocoa powder. So, I added some honey to help balance that out.
When I make banana bread, the bananas still have very small chunks. While that works for bananas, I knew it wouldn’t taste right in a brownie. So, the blender did the trick! If you don’t have a blender, you could also use a food processor. Or, use an electric mixer, just make sure they mix really well.
Using the blender makes these paleo brownies very quick and easy.
The true test: everyone enjoyed these brownies! The kids weren’t quite as sure since they aren’t rich milk chocolate. But, if you like dark chocolate, these are perfect for you!
Step by Step
Pulse a few times to chop up the banana. Then set to blend until it is completely combined and creamy.
Add the baking soda and pulse a few times until it’s mixed in.
Pour the brownie batter into the greased baking dish.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes. The time will vary based on the size of the pan and the thickness of the brownies. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Keep any leftover brownies in an airtight container at room temperature. If you live in a very humid area, they will do better in the refrigerator. For those who refrigerate, you can microwave for about 10 seconds to warm them up again before eating.
Originally Published On: September 7, 2020
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Grease a 1.5qt casserole dish or 8×8 baking pan
- Add the bananas, eggs, vanilla extract, almond milk, vegan chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and honey to the blender.
- Pulse a few times to chop up the banana
- Blend until it is completely combined and creamy
- Add the baking soda and pulse a few times until it’s mixed in
- Pour the brownie batter into the greased baking dish
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (the time will vary based on the size of the pan and the thickness of the brownies)
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving