Macaroni Casserole uses real food ingredients to make a healthier, tastier version of macaroni and cheese we prefer over the box any day.Jump to Recipe
I’m sure most of you, like me, grew up on that blue or yellow box of macaroni and cheese. And we loved it! We’ve started to be more picky about the foods we eat and avoiding processed foods. Now that tastes horrible to me. Some of them don’t even have real cheese in there! Instead of a processed meal, try making Macaroni Casserole.
I received the book 100 Days of Real Food a few years ago. I was thrilled to find a recipe for a macaroni casserole. My boys won’t eat boxed mac and cheese, but they love this recipe!
Since it’s based on whole foods, you are using real cheese and whole-wheat ingredients. I don’t think I would call this healthy, but it’s much better than the boxed ones you can buy at the grocery store.
The full meal takes only about 15 minutes to prepare, and 15 minutes to bake. The time is perfect for a quick weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy. And if you don’t eat it all at that time, it can be saved and reheated the next day.
Step by Step
Start by preheating the oven to 425F. Cook your macaroni noodles as directed. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes until they are softened.
Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
Sprinkle in the flour. Whisk continuously until it starts to brown.
Use a whisk to stir in the milk and bring it to a boil. Then lower the heat and let the milk simmer until it thickens. Stir occasionally to make sure the milk doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
Turn off the heat and whisk in the salt, pepper, sour cream, and cheddar cheese.
Pour the cooked noodles in and stir until they are coated with the milk and cheese mixture.
Pour everything into an 8×8 baking dish and coat it with the breadcrumbs.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs start to brown and the cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper if desired.
Originally Published On: January 12, 2016
Last Updated On: November 8, 2019
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 1/2 cups noodles (cooked)
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft
- Add garlic for another minute
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk continually until it browns
- Whisk in milk and bring to a boil
- Lower the heat and simmer until the milk thickens, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn
- Remove from heat and whisk in salt, pepper, sour cream, and cheese
- Add the noodles and add your add-in ingredient and stir until coated
- Transfer to an 8×8 baking dish
- Coat with breadcrumbs
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown