I’m sure most of you, like me, grew up on that blue or yellow box of macaroni and cheese. And we loved it! Of course, now that we’ve started being more picky about the foods we eat and avoiding processed foods, that tastes horrible to me. Some of them don’t even have real cheese in there!
When I got one of my favorite cookbooks, the original 100 Days of Real Food book, and looked through some of the recipes, I was thrilled to find one for a macaroni and cheese casserole. My boys won’t eat mac and cheese, but they love this recipe!
Since it’s based on whole foods, you are using real cheese and whole-wheat ingredients. I don’t think I would call this healthy, but it’s much better than the boxed ones you can buy at the grocery store.
The full meal takes only about 15 minutes to prepare, and 15 minutes to bake. The time is perfect for a quick weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy. And if you don’t eat it all at that time, it can be saved and reheated the next day.
Start by preheating the oven to 425F. Cook your macaroni noodles as directed.
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes until they are softened. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute, then sprinkle in the flour. Whisk continuously until it starts to brown.
Use a whisk to stir in the milk and bring it to a boil. Then lower the heat and let the milk simmer until it thickens. Stir occasionally to make sure the milk doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
Turn off the heat and whisk in the salt, pepper, sour cream, and cheddar cheese.
Pour the cooked noodles in and stir until they are coated with the milk and cheese mixture.
Pour everything into an 8×8 baking dish and coat it with the breadcrumbs. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs start to brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 1/2 cups noodles (cooked)
- 1 cup add-ins such as diced cooked green beans, steamed broccoli, frozen peas, shredded cooked chicken, etc.
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft
- Add garlic for another minute
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk continually until it browns
- Whisk in milk and bring to a boil
- Lower the heat and simmer until the milk thickens, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn
- Remove from heat and whisk in salt, pepper, sour cream, and cheese
- Add the noodles and add your add-in ingredient and stir until coated
- Transfer to an 8×8 baking dish
- Coat with breadcrumbs
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown