Pork is one of the few types of meat that my entire family will eat. I don’t have a lot of pork recipes though. I like to get a large tenderloin from the store and either bake it or place it in the slow cooker for an easy meal. But, when looking at all the extra ingredients in the pre-flavored pork, I decided to make my own at home.
We have been trying to avoid unnecessary ingredients and cook with fresh food when possible. For that reason, I decided to put together our own rub for pork tenderloin. I purchased a plain tenderloin from the store so it didn’t have anything extra in or on it. Italian-Herb Pork is my favorite flavor. That’s what we tried to make a copy of at home.
This ended up with a much better flavor than the pre-packaged herb tenderloin. The only thing I want to do next time is to marinade it for a bit longer to let the pork soak up some of the flavors.
I mixed together a whole bunch of herbs that we had, both fresh and dried, to make the rub. I wish we had more fresh herbs. None of our herbs were growing at the time, so I used dried herbs and spices. We keep a little of all the common herbs on hand and have some of the more unique ones, too. Italian-Herb Pork has a great flavor. The seasoning mixture could also be used as a rub for chicken or other meat
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 475F. In a 9×13 baking dish, make a layer of sliced carrots and top that with sliced onion.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil with all of the seasonings. If you have time, I suggest placing the pork in the bowl and letting it marinade for a few hours, turning often to coat the entire tenderloin.
If you are making the meal immediately, place the pork tenderloin on top of the vegetables.
Rub the oil and seasonings over the tenderloin. Spread it out as much as possible without too much falling over the side.
Roast the pork for about 20 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 425F and cook another 30-45 minutes. Cook until a meat thermometer reaches 145F and the vegetables are tender.
Remove the dish from the oven. Use a piece of foil to “tent” the pork for about 20 minutes to finish the roasting process.
Slice the pork and serve immediately with the carrots and onions.
Originally Published On: May 27, 2019
Italian-Herb Crusted Pork
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 lb pork tenderloin
- 8 carrots (halved lengthwise)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil with all of the seasonings
- Place the pork in the bowl and let it marinade for a few hours, turning often to coat the entire tenderloin
- Preheat the oven to 475F
- In a 9×13 baking dish, make a layer of sliced carrots and top that with sliced onion
- Place the pork tenderloin on top of the vegetables
- Rub the oil and seasonings over the tenderloin
- Roast the pork for about 20 minutes
- Reduce the heat to 425F and cook another 30-45 minutes, until a meat thermometer reaches 145F and the vegetables are tender
- Remove the dish from the oven and use a piece of foil to “tent” the pork for about 20 minutes to finish the roasting process
- Slice the pork and serve immediately with the carrots and onions
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.