Make holiday meals easier this year with Instant Pot Turkey. It’s quick, simple, and doesn’t take up needed space in the oven.Jump to Recipe
Instant pot turkey is the easiest way I’ve ever made a whole turkey! This is a perfect way to have Thanksgiving turkey done in no time. And, it doesn’t take much prep work.
I’ve been using the instant pot a lot lately, and it’s great for other meats, so why not turkey? You can season the turkey however you’d like, but I’ll tell you what we did.
The instant pot turkey stays very moist and still has a good flavor to the skin. We used Italian seasoning, sea salt, pepper, and thyme for our flavors. I also added some onion and garlic to the instant pot.
We made this over the summer to test the idea out and it was delicious! Our family munched on the leftover turkey for days. This year, we are definitely making our turkey in the instant pot for Thanksgiving.
The instant pot is much safer than deep frying. And it’s quick. Plus, it doesn’t take up your oven! One of the biggest challenges for a big holiday meal is the oven space so if you have too many things that need to be baked, you have to time it carefully and possibly have family cook something at their house and bring it warm. When you cook the turkey in the pressure cooker, it’s one less thing that needs the oven.
Step by Step
Pat the turkey dry and gather your ingredients.
Place the turkey on a wire rack for the instant pot and place it into the cooking pot. Generously rub the turkey with the butter then place 1/4 of the remaining butter inside the turkey and the rest around it.
Place the onion and garlic inside the turkey cavity. Any that doesn’t fit can go around the turkey.
Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and thyme on the turkey. Pour the lemon oil or juice inside and around the turkey then add the chicken broth to the pot.
Place the lid on the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. Remove the turkey from the instant pot and let it sit for 10 minutes before carving.
Pull any remaining meat from the turkey carcass. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. Enjoy the leftovers cold or reheat in a microwave or toaster oven.
Originally Published On: October 2, 2020
Instant Pot Turkey
- 5-7 lb turkey
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion (quartered)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp thyme (dried)
- 6 drops lemon essential oil ( or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- Pat the turkey dry
- Place the turkey on a wire rack for the instant pot and place into the cooking pot
- Generously rub the turkey with the butter then place 1/4 of the remaining butter inside the turkey and the rest around it
- Place the onion and garlic inside the turkey cavity and any that doesn’t fit around the turkey
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and thyme on the turkey
- Pour the lemon oil or juice inside and around the turkey
- Add the chicken broth to the pot
- Place the lid on the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes
- Let the pressure release naturally
- Remove the turkey from the instant pot and let it sit for 10 minutes before carving
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutrition content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Beef
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Beef and Broccoli in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot French Onion Roast Chicken
- Instant Pot Lemon-Garlic Chicken
- Orange Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- Butter Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Turkey Roasted to Perfection
More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Leftover Turkey Tortellini Soup
- Turkey Gravy from Scratch
- Smooth and Creamy Mashed Cauliflower and Potatoes
- Instant Pot Turkey Roasted to Perfection
- Grandpa’s Sweet Potato Casserole
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Ambrosia Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Pumpkin Pie
- Cranberry Sauce Leftovers in Mini Jello Cups
- Homemade Stuffing or Dressing Recipe with Fresh Bread
- Creamy Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Apple Pie
- Chicken and Dumplings