Grilling dinner is so much fun in the summer. We all really enjoy when it’s warm outside. We can enjoy the beautiful backyard while we make dinner and oftentimes eat out there, too. Grilled summer vegetables are a perfect addition to many meals either as a side or incorporated into a dish. Orzo has been one of my favorites lately, so grilled summer orzo salad was a great way to put it all together.
For this recipe, it was a perfect combination of food that needed to be cooked outside on the grill and inside at the stovetop. I let the guys go outside while I
hid inside from the wasps prepared the base of the recipe. It worked well, though, that we could both do our part and put it together for an easy meal.
Funny story: we went to make this a few weeks ago and when Justin went to cut up the zucchini he realized that he bought a cucumber instead! We then also realized that explained why the “zucchini” tasted strange in another recipe since he bought two cucumbers. So Justin ran to the grocery store and grabbed a zucchini so we could really make this meal.
Step by Step
Heat the grill to high. Cut the zucchini into quarters and place that with the corn on the grill. Grill the vegetables until they are crisp-tender, which should take about 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add the orzo. Boil for about 10 minutes or until the noodles are al-dente.
When the vegetables are done grilling, cut the zucchini into bite-sized pieces and strip the kernels from the corn cobs.
Fold the orzo into the dressing.
Add the corn kernels, zucchini, and arugula to the orzo mixture. Toss well to coat.
Serve the grilled summer orzo salad warm.
Originally Published On: May 9, 2019
Grilled Summer Orzo Salad
- 1 zucchini
- 2 ears corn
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup orzo
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 2 cups arugula
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- Heat the grill to high
- Cut the zucchini into quarters lengthwise and place that with the corn on the grill
- Grill the vegetables until they are crisp-tender, which should take about 8-10 minutes
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add the orzo
- Boil for about 10 minutes or until the noodles are al-dente
- When the vegetables are done grilling, cut the zucchini into bite-sized pieces and strip the kernels from the corn cobs
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil, lime juice, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper
- Fold the orzo into the dressing
- Add the corn kernels, zucchini, and arugula to the orzo mixture
- Toss well to coat
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.