This vegan cucumber summer salad is perfect for those hot long summer days. It’s refreshing and easy with in-season vegetables.Jump to Recipe
Back in March, when the COVID pandemic hit, we had to cancel Ryan’s birthday party. When we did, I asked friends and family to send him birthday cards so he still had something special. A few people in my sister’s gardening group sent him seed packets to plant. Among those were cucumbers and tomatoes. So, we figured we would try it and see what happens!
We also planted radishes and cooked those up recently. This time, we used the cucumber and tomatoes to make them into a refreshing summer salad. At least, according to Justin and our friends who were over it was refreshing. You may recall, I don’t eat cucumbers. But I know a lot of people like them, and we had so many growing in the garden.
The cucumber summer salad is dairy-free, so it would be great for taking to family picnics. You don’t have to worry about it needing to stay refrigerated unless you just prefer your veggies to be chilled.
Step by Step
Slice the cucumber and yellow onion. Dice the tomato into bite-sized chunks.
In a small bowl, whisk the dill, thai basil, parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Pour the mixed dressing over the vegetables in the medium bowl. Toss gently to coat the vegetables.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Toss one more time and serve chilled.
Place any leftover Cucumber Summer Salad back in the refrigerator in a covered container. Toss again before serving. This will only last about 1-2 days before the vegetables start to break down in the dressing.
Originally Published On: August 28, 2020
Cucumber Summer Salad
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dill (fresh)
- 1/2 tbsp Thai basil (fresh)
- 1/2 tbsp parsley (fresh)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Slice the cucumber and yellow onion
- Dice the tomato into bite-sized chunks
- Add cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes to a medium mixing bowl
- Gently mix with a wooden spoon
- In a small bowl, whisk the dill, thai basil, parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper
- Pour the mixed dressing over the vegetables in the medium bowl
- Toss gently to coat the vegetables
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Toss one more time and serve chilled