Meals that I can “hide” vegetables in are always a win at my house. I can trick the kids and myself into eating one we wouldn’t eat on their own. Crispy Chicken Wraps have quite a bit of green in them, perfect for a quick weeknight meal that packs in the good stuff.
If you buy a rotisserie chicken, then this meal can be made in about 15 minutes. Often I use boneless skinless chicken breast, so it takes closer to about 30 minutes because I have to cook the chicken first, then shred it.
The recipe originally came from something I had found on Pinterest years ago, but we’ve changed it so much since then I don’t even remember what the original had in it and what we’ve changed.
Last year we had celery growing in the garden, so when we harvested a lot of it I froze it in small pieces and like to use that for meals that the celery is cooked into things. It isn’t as crunchy as fresh celery, but it works well enough for this recipe.
I also typically have green onion growing in the garden, so I’ll grab that from the backyard, too. Because of that, this meal doesn’t cost much at all and is made with ingredients that are basically staples in my house.
Step by Step
If you are using a rotisserie chicken, take the meat off of the bones and shred the chicken. If you are using chicken breast, cook and shred the chicken.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, cilantro, green onion, celery, sour cream, and hot sauce until it’s combined. Then stir in the shredded chicken.
Place a scoop or two of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla shell. I don’t like to put a lot on because it makes it difficult to roll the shells if the filling is all falling out.
Top the chicken mixture with cheese. I like a lot of cheese, so tend to use more than the recipe says. It’s up to you to decide just how much cheese you want.
Roll each of the shells burrito style. This is the hardest part of the meal for me. I may have lived in Texas for a few years now, but I don’t have the burrito rolling technique down yet. I may have to find some videos online to learn from.
Warm a large skillet over medium heat for a few minutes, then place two of the burritos, seam side down, on the pan. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes, sometimes up to 5, until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip and cook the other side until browned as well.
Continue with each wrap until they are all cooked. Serve warm. I like to top mine with a bit more cheese and dip them in Ranch dressing, but neither are necessary to enjoy this meal.
Shop This Post
Crispy Chicken Wraps
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 3 green onions (sliced thin)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 rotisserie chicken (skin discarded, meat shredded to bite-sized(about 3 cups))
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 flour tortillas (12 inch)
- Whisk the mayonnaise, cilantro, green onions, celery, sour cream, and hot sauce in a large bowl
- Add chicken and toss to combine
- Arrange chicken mixture down center of each tortilla
- Sprinkle cheese over chicken mixture
- Roll up the chicken tortillas
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat for 1 minute
- Arrange 2 wraps, seam-side down, in pan and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side
- Transfer to plate and repeat with remaining wraps