Combine just a few simple ingredients to make a delicious dressing to pour over a salad served with crispy panko-covered chicken.Jump to Recipe
As the weather starts to warm up, we often find ourselves looking for a light, easy dish for dinner. Most of the time, that means we are grilling something. But there are days that we can’t get out to the grill. So my second option is usually a salad with a light dressing. But, a salad isn’t always enough to keep me full. One such meal is this delicious crispy chicken with salad.
The idea for this meal came from one of the many magazines that I somehow ended up subscribed to over the years. This was the first time we had arugula as a salad. Ever since then, that’s the only type of lettuce I buy for a salad at home. Well, either plain arugula or the mixture of spinach and arugula.
I cooked the chicken similar to how I have done a few recipes before. I dredge the meat in flour, then egg, then cover in panko. It’s a great way to get a crust on the chicken without too much work. The best part about this recipe is the dressing for the salad. I wasn’t sure at first, reading through the ingredients. But I was left wishing I had doubled it to have some the next day. Next time, I want some homemade croutons to add to the salad.
Step by Step
Set out three small bowls. Fill one with flour, another with the egg, and the last with the panko. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, then egg, then cover with panko. Make sure to thoroughly cover the chicken at each step and let extra egg drip off before putting in the panko.
In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken into the oil. Fry until it is cooked through and golden brown. Turn it at least once. This should take about 5-10 minutes per side, depending on how thick the chicken breast is. Sprinkle the chicken with salt.
Add the arugula and red pepper to the dressing and toss gently to coat.
Divide the salad and chicken among your serving plates and top with capers and parsley to garnish.
Originally Published On: May 6, 2019
Crispy Chicken with Salad
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup panko
- 1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/4 red onion (sliced thin)
- 2 tsp capers (drained)
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Lay out three small bowls and fill one with flour, another with the egg, and the last with the panko
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, then egg, then cover with panko making sure to thoroughly cover the chicken at each step and let extra egg drip off before putting in the panko
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat
- Place the chicken into the oil and fry until it is cooked through and golden brown, turning at least once, about 5-10 minutes per side, depending on how thick the chicken breast is
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt after it finishes cooking
- Meanwhile, whisk together all of the ingredients for the salad dressing in a medium mixing bowl
- Add the arugula and red pepper to the dressing and toss gently to coat
- Divide the salad and chicken among your serving plates and top with capers and parsley to garnish
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutrition content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.