My secret ingredient for Au Gratin potatoes is a bit of Miracle Whip. It adds a bit of tang to the potatoes while keeping them creamy.Jump to Recipe
Potatoes have always been a favorite of mine. In high school, when I got home from school, I would often make a package of instant mashed potatoes. Au Gratin potatoes are delicious, but we didn’t have them very often. Or, if we did, it was a boxed package. Now, don’t get me wrong, those are good, but not as good as homemade.
When I set out to make my own au gratin potatoes, I used my potato salad recipe as a starter. That’s one of the few things I use Miracle Whip in, and I like the tang it adds. I knew I wanted to do the same with these potatoes.
Oh, and they had to be cheesy (of course), and creamy. In other words, I wanted the perfect au gratin potato recipe. For the first try, I got really close to what I was looking for! After a bit of tweaking and remaking, I ended up with this amazing recipe.
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with oil. Gather your ingredients so they are ready to use.
Cut the potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices. I found that my mandolin slicer was perfect for this. The slices were all the same size and it made the job quick and easy. Arrange half of the slices in the bottom of the baking dish in a single layer.
Spread half of the miracle whip mixture over the potatoes.
Place remaining potatoes on miracle whip. Top with remaining miracle whip mixture. Pour heavy whipping cream over everything.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour, until potatoes are tender. Uncover the baking dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Broil for 2 minutes until cheese is lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes and garnish with parsley.
Store leftover au gratin potatoes in the refrigerator. To reheat, place back in the oven until warm. Or you can heat in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often.
Originally Published On: November 2, 2020
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip Dressing
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 lb russet potatoes (peeled)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the miracle whip, salt, and pepper
- Stir in the cheddar cheese
- Cut the potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices
- Arrange half of the slices in the bottom of the baking dish in a single layer
- Spread half of the miracle whip mixture over the potatoes
- Place remaining potatoes on miracle whip
- Top with remaining miracle whip mixture
- Pour heavy whipping cream over everything
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour, until potatoes are tender
- Uncover the baking dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Broil for 2 minutes until cheese is lightly browned
- Let stand for 10 minutes and garnish with parsley