Sunday morning at our house means “Big Breakfast Sunday”. But there are times that we forget until waking up that morning! Oops! And, of course, the boys look forward to this so they won’t let us forget. Well, last Sunday was one such day, so I did some quick
thinking searching and found a recipe for cinnamon swirl muffins.
We had all the ingredients, so I decided to give it a try while still changing a few things about the recipe. I started with this recipe that I found but varied some of the steps. One of the changes was because I misread a step, but they ended up working really well. We love the streusel on Apple Crisp so I decided it would be good on muffins, too.
I know I’ve mentioned it before, but any sweet breakfast usually has to be doubled in my house. Tyler is my little hobbit eating his breakfast then wanting second breakfast and complaining on school days that he doesn’t have time for third breakfast. We have said we need to take him to an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet one day!
The cinnamon swirl muffins have a streusel on top, but I also mixed some of it into the batter. This helped get the cinnamon sugar flavor distributed throughout the muffin rather than just on the top.
This is the first time I’ve used buttermilk in muffins before. I was surprised at how well it works. The flavor is very subtle, but it helps keep the muffins from drying out. We don’t use buttermilk enough to buy it already prepared, so I buy it in powder form and mix some up when we need it.
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 425F. Gather the muffin ingredients.
In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until they are well combined.
Sprinkle each muffin with about 1 tsp of the streusel mixture.
Use a toothpick to swirl the cinnamon streusel into the muffin batter.
Top the muffins with the remaining streusel.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425F then reduce the heat to 350F without opening the oven. Bake another 12-14 minutes.
Make sure the muffins are cooked in the center and a toothpick comes out clean.
Originally Published On: February 14, 2019
Last Updated On: February 27, 2020
Cinnamon Swirl Muffins with Streusel Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until there are no lumps
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla extract
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until they are combined
- For the streusel, mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl then cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly
- Spray or line about 14 muffin cups and fill them 3/4 of the way with the muffin batter
- Sprinkle one tsp of the streusel onto each muffin
- Use a toothpick to swirl the streusel into the muffin batter
- Sprinkle the remaining streusel onto the top of the muffins
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F and cook for an additional 12-15 minutes until the muffins are cooked through
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.