This light salad with chicken and cheese tortellini, topped with a lemon dressing, is a perfect summer meal for busy nights.
Tortellini is one of my favorite kinds of pasta, as long as it’s cheese filled. They are such fun little circles and contain all that cheesy goodness inside. For a long time, the only way I knew how to make it into a meal was with sauce, such as in Herbed Tortellini.
A while ago, I found a recipe in a magazine for a salad that includes tortellini and I was so excited to try it! This is a perfect, light, easy meal. And it’s completely different than having pasta sauce over the tortellini, which gives me another option. I’ve made this a few times, both with and without the chicken. While it’s still good without chicken, the chicken adds a lot to the recipe.
The first day we eat the chicken tortellini salad warm since it’s ready. But, the leftovers always make their way to the refrigerator, and I like this cold the next day. It’s perfect for bringing lunch with you to school or work since it doesn’t need to be reheated. Of course, you can reheat it, but I would keep the salad separate when you store the leftovers because heated lettuce doesn’t sound great.
Step by Step
Cook the tortellini according to the package.
Meanwhile, boil the chicken until it is cooked through and shred. You could also use rotisserie chicken if you want to purchase that, but we always use boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
In a large mixing bowl, place the tortellini and shredded chicken and gently stir to mix them together.
Add two tablespoons of the lemon mixture into the tortellini and chicken and toss to coat.
Gently fold in the arugula and remaining lemon dressing.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.
Originally Published On: May 30, 2019
Chicken Tortellini Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 9 oz cheese tortellini
- 1 lb chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (shaved)
- Cook the tortellini according to the package
- Meanwhile, boil the chicken until it is cooked through and shred
- While the tortellini and chicken are cooking, use a small mixing bowl to combine the garlic and olive oil
- Add the salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar stirring with a whisk
- In a large mixing bowl, place the tortellini and shredded chicken and gently stir to mix them together
- Add two tablespoons of the lemon mixture into the tortellini and chicken and toss to coat
- Gently fold in the arugula and remaining lemon dressing
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.