As with a lot of my recipes, I started making Chicken Fajitas with a prepackaged seasoning, but after some experimentation came up with my own. Chicken Fajitas can be made in so many ways, with a variety of toppings, so they can suit almost anyone’s tastes.
We didn’t have fajitas much when I was growing up because spicy foods don’t agree well with my dad or with me. I really started having them homemade when I met my husband and his mom would make them for us when we were visiting. The packaged seasonings are good, but it would sometimes be too spicy for me.
By making my own seasoning, I can vary the ingredients and make it so it isn’t too spicy for me, but still have enough flavor for everyone else as well. You can adjust the recipe for the seasoning as well to suit the tastes of you and your family.
Step by Step
In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the seasoning and set this aside. You can also use this as a marinade for your chicken and vegetables if you plan ahead. To do this, chop your chicken and vegetables and place them in a ziptop bag with a splash of oil and refrigerate for a few hours.
Slice all of your vegetables. I like to use some bell pepper and onion. Of course, as I mentioned, you can use almost anything you would like in a fajita. I know some people like mushrooms and have heard of everything from cloves of garlic to sweet potato to avocado. Again, make them how you and your family will enjoy.
Cut your chicken into bite-sized chunks. In a medium pan, saute the chicken over medium-high heat in some oil for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Add the veggies and saute for a few more minutes until they are crisp-tender.
Pour in 3/4 cup of water and cover with the seasoning mixture.
Stir everything up so the seasoning gets evenly distributed. Cover and cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve the chicken fajitas in a tortilla shell and top with any other desired toppings. I like cheese and sour cream, and sometimes we put fresh avocado on top as well.
Shop This Post
Chicken Fajitas from Scratch
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lb chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 flour tortilla shells
- 1 cup cheese
- desired toppings such as sour cream and avocado
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the seasoning and set aside
- Slice the vegetables and cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks
- If you have time, for added flavor, combine the seasoning, vegetables, chicken, and a splash of oil in a ziptop bag and refrigerate for a few hours
- In a medium pan, over medium-high heat, saute the chicken in a bit of oil until cooked through
- Add the vegetables and water and cover with seasoning (if they weren’t marinaded)
- Cover and saute for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Lay out the flour tortillas and add some of the fajita fillings to each
- Cover with cheese and any other desired toppings