Chicken Fajitas, with an easy seasoning made from scratch, are a quick and delicious dinner that the entire family can enjoy.Jump to Recipe
As with a lot of my recipes, I started making Chicken Fajitas with a prepackaged seasoning, but after some experimentation came up with my own. Chicken Fajitas can be made in so many ways, with a variety of toppings, so they can suit almost anyone’s tastes.
We didn’t have fajitas much when I was growing up because spicy foods don’t agree well with my dad or with me. I started having them homemade when I met my husband. His mom would make them for us when we were visiting. The packaged seasonings are good, but it would sometimes be too spicy for me.
By making my own seasoning, I can vary the ingredients and make it so it isn’t too spicy for me, but still have enough flavor for everyone else as well. You can adjust the recipe for the seasoning as well to suit the tastes of you and your family.
Step by Step
Slice all of your vegetables and add them to a medium mixing bowl. I like to use some bell pepper and onion. Of course, as I mentioned, you can use almost anything you would like in a fajita. I know some people like mushrooms and have heard of everything from cloves of garlic to sweet potato to avocado. Again, make them how you and your family will enjoy.
Cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks and place them in the medium mixing bowl with vegetables.
In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the seasoning. Cover the chicken and vegetables with the fajita seasoning and refrigerate for a few hours to marinade.
In a medium pan, warmed over medium-high heat, pour the chicken and vegetables out. Saute for about 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
Pour in 3/4 cup of water and stir gently. Cover and cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve the chicken fajitas in a tortilla shell and top with any other desired toppings. I like cheese and sour cream, and sometimes we put fresh avocado on top as well.
Originally Published On: December 30, 2017
Last Updated On: July 9, 2019
Chicken Fajitas from Scratch
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lb chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 flour tortilla shells
- 1 cup cheese
- desired toppings such as sour cream and avocado
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks and place them in a medium mixing bowl
- Slice the vegetables and add these to the mixing bowl
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the seasoning
- Cover the chicken and vegetables with the fajita seasoning and refrigerate for a few hours to marinade
- In a medium pan, warmed over medium-high heat, pour the chicken and vegetables out
- Saute for about 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender
- Pour in 3/4 cup of water and stir gently
- Cover and cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve the chicken fajitas in a tortilla shell and top with any other desired toppings
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutrition content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.