Since living in Texas, we’ve eaten a lot more Tex-Mex than I ever have before. Many of the restaurants we go to around here have cheese quesadillas on the kids menu, and chicken quesadillas for an appetizer.
My boys love cheese quesadillas, and will sometimes eat them with chicken inside. About once per week, I’ll make a cheese quesadilla after they go to bed and send it in their lunches the next day. Both boys will eat them both cold or warm, so it’s great for lunches.
I’ve tried the cheese quesadillas and feel like they are a bit plain. I prefer having some chicken in them for more flavor plus they are more filling with meat.
Quesadillas are a great option for a quick meal because they don’t take long to cook. Including the chicken, the quesadillas took me about 30 minutes total. I think it took us longer to figure out the best way to photograph and take the pictures than it did to make the food!
You can serve the quesadillas with a variety of dipping options. Ryan and I like sour cream with ours. Tyler will usually dip his in Ranch dressing. Justin likes salsa or guacamole.
You’ll see in the photos that I had two different flavors. Justin wanted his to have pepper jack cheese, the boys and I had cheddar. Sliced and shredded both work well, but if you use sliced it’s less likely for any to fall out as you flip the quesadillas.
Step by Step
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and pour in the oil. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces or strips and season with salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings. I like to sprinkle in a bit of onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Sauté until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, lay out the tortilla shells and place the cheese on one half of each shell.
Top the cheese with 1/4 of the chicken on each shell.
In a small skillet, over medium heat, warm the quesadilla by folding it in half and cooking for about 3-4 minutes.
Carefully flip the quesadilla and cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes, or until the shell is browned and the cheese has melted.
Repeat with each quesadilla until they are all cooked. Slice the quesadillas (a pizza cutter works well for this) into 4 pieces and serve warm.
Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 tortilla shells
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces or strips and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning
- Sauté the chicken in the oil until the chicken is cooked through
- Lay out each tortilla and cover one half of each shell with 1/4 of the cheese
- When the chicken is done, place 1/4 of the chicken on the cheese for each tortilla
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat
- Fold one tortilla shell in half and place in the warm skillet
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the shell is golden brown on the bottom
- Carefully flip and cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes or until the shell is browned and the cheese has melted
- Repeat for each quesadilla
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 pieces and serve warm
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.