This is super-simple to make, especially if you use frozen hashbrowns. And trust me, buy the frozen. I tried with homemade hash browns one time and it just didn’t work very well. I couldn’t get all of the moisture out of the potatoes and it was a runny mess.
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is a great option if you need a recipe for a pot-luck style brunch. I made it for my Mothers of Preschoolers meeting on month and everyone was asking me for the recipe.
I have this listed under breakfast
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a square baking dish.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat then cook the diced onion for about 2-3 minutes, just until it softens. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
Turn the heat down to medium-low and slowly whisk in the flour while stirring continuously.
Whisk in the milk, salt, and pepper and stir until it thickens in the flour, about 2-3 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir continuously until the cheese has all melted.
Fold the hash browns into the cheese mixture. If your pan is big enough, you can do it in the pan. I prefer to mix it all in a large mixing bowl to make sure I have the space needed.
Transfer the mixture to the greased baking dish and smooth it out as much as possible.
Bake the casserole for about 30-35 minutes, uncovered. The cheese should start to bubble but probably won’t be brown.
If you want to brown the cheese, you can turn the broiler on for a few minutes.
Shop This Post
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 pound hash browns (frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease a square baking dish
- In large pan, melt butter over medium heat
- Add the diced onion and cook until it softens, about 2-3 minutes
- Add the minced garlic for another minute
- Turn heat to medium-low and whisk in flour slowly, stirring continuously
- Whisk in milk, salt, and pepper until it thickens
- Turn off the heat and add the grated cheese until it melts
- Fold cheese mixture with hash browns until it is completely coated
- Transfer to the baking dish, making sure to really pat the mixture down into the pan
- Bake about 30-35 minutes uncovered
- Turn heat to brown for a few minutes to brown the top, if desired