Chocolate. Caramel. Hot Fudge. Whipped Topping. Butterscotch Chips. This cake has it all and may almost be better than sex!Jump to Recipe
“This cake is good, but it isn’t better-than-sex cake!” “Um, what?” Yeah, that was my reaction too when I was first told the same thing.
One of my coworkers brought a similar cake in to share with the office many years ago when I was working at a doctor’s office in Florida. A few minutes later, as I was devouring one of the best pieces of cake I’ve ever eaten, another coworker came to me and said that the cake wasn’t better than sex.
She knew by the puzzled look on my face that I wasn’t aware that was the name of the cake. I had no clue why she was telling me this. Then we both started laughing.
I knew I needed the recipe because it was absolutely delicious. It’s a sweet tooth’s dream mixture of moist chocolate cake with caramel, hot fudge, whipped topping, butterscotch, and more chocolate. I’ve changed a few things over the years based on different tastes and what was available at the time.
PS: If you need a more kid-friendly name for the cake, you can call it Chocolate Caramel Poke Cake. At least, that’s a little more appropriate for children.
Step by Step
Start the recipe by preparing the chocolate cake batter according to the package directions. Or you can use my recipe for Chocolate Cake if you prefer to make yours from scratch. Add 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips into the batter before pouring into a 9×13 baking dish. Bake the cake according to the directions, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the cake. I find this works best while the cake is still hot.
Gently spread the hot fudge on, allowing the cake to melt it a bit if needed. Try to get some of it in the holes poked in the cake. Then pour on the caramel topping doing the same.
Let the cake cool completely before spreading the whipped topping on as a frosting.
Add another layer of hot fudge and caramel on top of the whipped topping.
Sprinkle with the remaining mini chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. The cake can be served immediately and is good warm or cold. I like to keep mine in the refrigerator for storage and eat it cold.
Originally Published On: March 27, 2017
Last Updated On: September 5, 2019
Better Than Sex Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 11 oz hot fudge topping
- 14 oz caramel topping
- 8 oz whipped topping
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Prepare the cake batter according to package
- Stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into a greased 9×13 pan
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Immediately poke holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon
- Spread about 2/3 of the hot fudge topping and 2/3 of the caramel over the cake
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes
- Frost with the cool whip
- Drizzle the remaining hot fudge and caramel over the whipped topping
- Sprinkle the butterscotch chips and remaining chocolate chips on top of the cake
- Store in the refrigerator and serve cool