Combine BBQ sauce with Italian dressing for a delicious sauce with shredded chicken on a bun with melted cheese for perfect slow cooker sandwiches.
Now that we live in Texas, barbecue is a must! Then again, I’ve been making this recipe for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches long before we moved. I make these sandwiches in the slow cooker, so it’s a super simple recipe that you can make any night of the week. It’s also a pretty cheap recipe with only a few ingredients.
One of the hard parts of moving is not being able to find foods that you once loved that are regional. We really miss shopping at Publix, which seems funny because I never knew I would miss a grocery store until we moved out of Publix territory.
We also really miss
Using the slow cooker for this recipe makes it easy work, and ready whenever you need it. We like meals like this for nights that we are all on the go, or sometimes when Justin has meetings and we need to eat at different times.
Step by Step
I like to get Sweet Baby Rays BBQ, but you can use any brand that you prefer. I buy the generic zesty Italian dressing and use part of it for this, then use the rest on salads throughout the week.
Add the BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, zesty Italian dressing, and brown sugar to the slow cooker. Stir to form a sauce.
Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker and cover with the sauce.
Cover and cook on high for four hours or low for seven hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the meat. Hint: if you have a stand mixer, you can use the paddle attachment on stir to shred chicken. Just keep an eye on it because it will go from shredded to mush very quickly. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the sauce from the slow cooker and stir it into the shredded chicken.
Distribute the chicken onto the hamburger buns and top with a slice of cheese.
Originally Published On: February 18, 2017
Last Updated On: February 12, 2020
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup zesty Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Add the BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, zesty Italian dressing, and brown sugar to the slow cooker
- Stir to form a sauce
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker and cover with the sauce
- Cover and cook on high for four hours or low for seven hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the meat
- Scoop about 1/2 cup of the sauce from the slow cooker and stir it into the shredded chicken
- Distribute the chicken onto the hamburger buns and top with a slice of cheese
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.