Now that we live in Texas, barbecue is a must! Then again, I’ve been making this recipe for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches before we moved. I make these sandwiches in the slow cooker, so it’s a super simple recipe that you can make any night of the week. It’s also a pretty cheap recipe with only a few ingredients.
One of the hard parts of moving is not being able to find foods that you once loved that are regional. We really miss shopping at Publix, which seems funny because I never knew I would miss a grocery store until we moved out of Publix territory.
We also really miss
Using the slow cooker for this recipe makes it easy work, and ready whenever you need it. We like meals like this for nights that we are all on the go, or sometimes when Justin has meetings and we need to eat at different times.
Step by Step
To make BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, put all of the ingredients except the cheese and buns in the slow cooker. I like to get Sweet Baby Rays BBQ, but you can use any brand that you prefer. I buy the generic zesty Italian dressing and use part of it for this, then use the rest on salads throughout the week.
Cover and cook on high for four hours or low for seven hours, until the chicken is cooked through. About 30 minutes before serving, carefully remove the chicken and shred it.
Hint: if you have a stand mixer, you can use the paddle attachment on stir to shred chicken. Just keep an eye on it because it will go from shredded to mush very quickly.
Return the chicken to the slow cooker and let it soak in the sauce for another 30 minutes.
To serve, use a slotted spoon to scoop out the chicken and place it on a hamburger bun. Top this with a slice of cheese and serve warm!
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 cups Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup zesty Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- In a slow cooker, add the bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, zesty Italian dressing, and brown sugar then stir to form a sauce
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker and cover with the sauce
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or high for 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through
- About 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the meat
- Put the shredded chicken back in the slow cooker and stir to coat with the sauce
- Cover and cook for another 30 minutes to let the sauce soak into the chicken
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the chicken onto the hamburger buns and top with a slice of cheese
- Serve warm
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.