Quick and easy BBQ Chicken & Black Beans Tacos are an excellent option for a healthy meal that the whole family will enjoy. I thought the combination sounded a bit odd at first, but we decided to give it a chance, and it was delicious!
Not to mention, this just screams Texas to me! The mix of Southwestern foods with Mexican influence and Texas bbq makes me think that this is the perfect Cinco de Mayo recipe in the Lone Star state.
The recipe calls for a rotisserie chicken, which would help keep the cook time to 30 minutes, but we didn’t have any since we went to the grocery store so early in the morning that the deli didn’t have them out yet. So I subbed in some boneless skinless chicken breast and cooked that which worked out well.
I have never been a big fan of black beans (my main reason for being hesitant to try this recipe), but they are mixed with so many other flavors that they don’t stand out. In my opinion, the beans added a little bit of nutrition and texture to the dish, and that was about it.
In addition to the taste, these tacos look so pretty! And because of the nature of tacos, you can prepare all of the ingredients, and each person can fill them to their liking, making this a great recipe for those with picky eaters in the house.
If you aren’t using a rotisserie chicken, start by sauteing the chicken breasts until cooked through and shredding. If you have a rotisserie chicken, make sure to cut the meat from the bones and shred.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, then add the diced bell pepper and cook for about 5-6 minutes, until it is tender.
Stir in the corn and black beans and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are warmed through, especially if you are using frozen corn. Remove the pan from the heat.
In a medium bowl, mix the shredded chicken with the bbq sauce. If the chicken is not warm, either heat in a pan or the microwave.
Warm the tortillas according to the package directions. Trust me, you want to warm them, we didn’t with the first ones we made, and as soon as we tried to roll the tacos slightly to pick them up they started to crack down the seams and made a huge mess! While the tortillas warm up, whisk the sauce ingredients in a small bowl until combined.
Top each tortilla with a scoop or two of the chicken and top with the veggie mixture. Then add a dollop of the sauce and garnish with cilantro.
BBQ Chicken and Black Bean Tacos
- 1 rotisserie chicken (or 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup corn (frozen)
- 1/2 cup black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce
- 10 corn tortillas (small)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Shred the rotisserie chicken OR if using chicken breasts, saute until cooked and shred
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the diced bell peppers
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until peppers are tender
- Stir in corn and black beans, cooking for another 1-2 minutes until heated, then remove the pan from the heat
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the bbq sauce
- If the chicken isn't already hot, cook in a pan or the microwave until just warmed
- Heat the tortillas according to the package
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk sauce ingredients together
- Make tacos by layering chicken mixture then bean mixture and a dollop of sauce
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm