Banana Bread Bars are a great variation on a favorite breakfast meal in our home. Similar to banana bread with a cream cheese frosting.
Banana Bread is a favorite breakfast in our house. Any time we have a few bananas the boys always beg us to save them to make banana bread. But one day, we decided we wanted to try something a little different and made it into banana bread bars.
Since it’s so close to banana bread, we named these banana bread bars. Yeah, we’re really creative over here! I don’t know if they would really be breakfast anymore, with the cream cheese frosting on top, but they made a great snack.
The ingredients for the bars are very similar to those used for bread. It’s just slightly different amounts and methods. Plus, as I said, the bars have a delicious frosting on top that we don’t put on the bread.
Tyler and Ryan really enjoyed helping us make this recipe. And of course, they especially like helping us eat it!
Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until they are fluffy. I like to use my stand mixer for this because it is quick and easy without me having to hold the mixer.
Then beat in the eggs, ripe bananas, and vanilla extract.
Grease a 9×13 glass baking dish and pour the banana batter into the dish.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the bars in the dish on a wire rack.
Make the frosting by combining the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until it’s creamy and smooth.
Once the bars are completely cooled, frost and cut into one-inch squares and serve. Garnish with crushed pecans if desired.
Originally Published On: April 23, 2019
Last Updated On: March 9, 2020
Banana Bread Bars
- 8 tbsp butter (softened)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 bananas (overripe)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 4 tbsp butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pecans (crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar
- Beat in the eggs, bananas, and vanilla extract
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and pour the batter in the dish
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack
- While the bars cool, beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until it’s creamy and smooth
- When the bars are completely cooled, frost and cut into one-inch squares
- Garnish with crushed pecans if desired
Shop This Recipe
When making any recipe, it’s essential to make sure you have the correct equipment. The following items are hand-selected for this recipe and are all items I have personally used and/or recommend.
These are affiliate links. See disclosures for more information.