Having an organized home is a goal that most people have. But reaching that goal can sometimes seem daunting and out-of-reach. As with most goal-setting, it’s usually better to break your goal down into smaller, more achievable goals and work towards those first.
When it comes to organizing the home, the same principle can be applied. I also find it best to work on one area of the home first rather than going all over the place. If you can break your goal down into little tasks each day, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.
Every home is different, so some of these may not apply to your home, and you may have to add some other areas in.
While you are organizing, I find it helpful to keep 4 piles going:
- Sentimental or needed items
- The items you need to be organizing
- Put these away properly after you are done going through it all
- Anything that you no longer need or want
- Items that are still in good shape or working order
- Things that you think others could actually use
- The items you find that don’t belong in the room you are organizing
- If they are going to a room already finished, make sure to put away properly
- If going to an area you haven’t organized yet, decide if you want to try to organize them, or save for later
- Trash (anything that doesn’t fit into the above three categories)
- Anything that doesn’t fit into the above categories
- If it’s torn, soiled, ruined, doesn’t work, etc. and can’t be fixed just trash it
- Don’t donate these things because it just makes it harder for workers at the donation centers to go through things that should just be trash
There are two ways to organize: either just follow the list or start in the area that needs it the most in your home. I usually try to clean and organize my kitchen before anything else because we are in there daily, and if we have people over they will see the kitchen area. The office area is the next priority since Justin and I work from home so need it to be clean to be productive.
2. Junk Drawer
4. Pots and Pans/Utensils
8. Computer Files
9. Under Beds
12. Kids Clothes
15. Medicine Cabinet
16. Under Sinks
17. Linen Closet
18. Makeup/Skincare products
19. Entertainment Center/Electronics/Cords
21. Kids Toys/Playroom
22. Craft Supplies
23. Holiday Decor
25. Cleaning Supplies
29. Other Storage Areas