The last year or so, I have started branching out more on the Asian foods that I try, and it’s left me craving it so often! Maybe it’s the salty flavor. Maybe it’s knowing I’m eating the vegetables in it since I’m so bad about that in general. Whatever it is, the Chinese Buffet and a local sushi restaurant have been my choices recently.
When I came across this recipe for a quick and easy vegetable lo mein, I knew we had to try it! And I’m so glad we gave it a try because it lived up to my expectations and satisfied my craving, at least for the week!!
The original recipe says only 15 minutes, but that counts on the ingredients list including the vegetables already cut. Since this is something you still have to do before preparing the meal, I added this time to the prep time for the recipe. Either way, this meal is quick and perfect for those busy weeknights that you still want a decent meal on the table.
Step by Step
Start by cooking the noodles according to the directions, then drain them and set aside. I wasn’t able to find lo mein noodles, so I used some spaghetti noodles, and it worked well.
While the noodles are cooking, set a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil until it’s heated. Add the garlic and onion to the pan and saute for about two minutes.
Then add the broccoli, bell pepper, and carrots and saute for another 4 minutes. You can use any bell pepper, depending on which flavor you like the best. We used green pepper. Finally, add the mushrooms and saute. Personally, I can’t stand mushrooms, so I didn’t use them when I made the recipe.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients: soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and ground ginger. Pour this over the vegetables and stir to cover.
Finally, add the noodles to the skillet and stir until the noodles and vegetables are all covered with the sauce and serve warm.
Scoop onto plates and serve warm!
Shop This Post
Vegetable Lo Mein
- 8 oz lo mein egg noodles or spaghetti noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 green bell pepper julienned
- 1 carrot julienned
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or more, to taste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Boil noodles according to package directions, then drain and set aside
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat
- Add garlic and onion to the pan and saute for 2 minutes
- Add broccoli, bell pepper, and carrots and saute for another 4 minutes
- Add mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk sauce ingredients together
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and stir
- Add the cooked noodles to the pan and stir to coat with the sauce and mix in vegetables
Join the Son Shine Community
Become a master of the kitchen.
Acquire new recipes, learn new techniques, and discuss your kitchen accomplishments & mishaps with others.