About once per month, we try to do “pantry week” meaning we don’t buy any new groceries and use up things we find in the refrigerator or pantry. This helps save money because we aren’t buying more food, and it keeps us from wasting food that might otherwise go bad if not eaten.
A lot of our meals during pantry week tend to be pasta of some type since we usually have pasta on hand, and it doesn’t require meat. Typically, we only buy enough meat for exactly the meals we are making, so don’t have extra in the freezer. The only exception is when the grocery shopping is sometimes done on the day they restock, so we find good sales on meat.
We’ve also been trying to use any of the foods we grow in the garden as we harvest, so since we had some fresh arugula, we added that to this meal. If you don’t have arugula or don’t like it, you could also sub in spinach leaves. We didn’t get many of our leafy greens to grow this season which has left us limited in our choices.
Justin cooked this meal one night while I was visiting my family in Florida and he always forgets to take the instructional photos. But he does do an excellent job of making sure to get those final photos for me, so I’ll give him a pass this time!
Step by Step
Start by cooking your pasta according to the directions. Justin used ziti noodles since that’s what we had extra of in the pantry, but this sauce would work well with almost any type of noodle.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium-low heat, then add the minced garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the white wine and turn the heat up to medium. Let the wine cook for about 5 minutes, or until it is reduced by about one-third. The garlic should be soft, but you don’t want it to get brown.
Remove the pan from the heat and add in the butter and cream. Return the pan to the heat and continuously stir until it starts to bubble. Remove the pan from the heat again and add the lemon juice, dill, and arugula. Stir until the arugula is wilted, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the sauce over the cooked pasta noodles. Garnish with dill and/or sliced green onions.
Shop This Post
Pasta with a Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1 cup pasta noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dill
- 1 bunch arugula or spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta noodles according to the package directions
- In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low and add the minced garlic
- Stir frequently, cooking for about 5 minutes
- Add the white wine
- Increase the heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes, making sure the garlic does not get brown, until the wine is reduced by one-third
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter and cream
- Return the pan to the heat and stir constantly until it begins to bubble
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice, dill, and arugula, stirring until the arugula has wilted
- Add salt and pepper as needed, to taste
- Serve the sauce over the cooked pasta noodles
Join the Son Shine Community
Become a master of the kitchen.
Acquire new recipes, learn new techniques, and discuss your kitchen accomplishments & mishaps with others.